Materials showing translucent, I don't want them to.

Started by XRuinX, March 15, 2016, 09:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XRuinX

So I have a model that uses a multi material. For some reason, both the materials show up semi-transparent, and I don't know how to fix it. If I check "opaque" then the first material in the mult-mat will show correctly, but the other material shows transparent still. Each of the materials is named correctly, after the filepath. Any suggestions?

wallworm

XRuinX

Quote"VertexLitGeneric"
{

$basetexture "models/XRuinX_materials/Chaos_Dreadnought/chaos_dreadnought_wargear_dif"
   $bumpmap "models/XRuinX_materials/Chaos_Dreadnought/chaos_dreadnought_wargear_nrm"

$phong "1"
    $phongboost  "1.0"
    $phongfresnelranges "[0 0.5 1]"
    $phongexponent "5"
    $translucent "1"
}
The other VMT is basically the same, except with a different file path for textures.
So i had looked at this part last night, so decided to try changing the materials to Blinn since maybe the issue was phong. That didn't work, and niether did changing/deleting  $translucent or all the $phong stuff.
Here's a look at my materials too:

I think I originally applied the materials in Maya and then exported it all into 3ds Max to work on, so maybe it has to do with that. I'm going to try reapplying all the materials in max and see if that helps.

wallworm

There are probably several solutions. If the diffuse bitmap should not actually have any transparency, then you can change the Diffuse Bitmap's Alpha Source to NONE. Do that for all diffuse bitmaps that shouldn't have any transparency... then re-export the VMT.

Another solution is to update the global ww setting for Materials to have Translucent Only if Diffuse in Opacity. When that is on, the $translucent parameter will only go into the VMT if you pipe the same bitmap node into both the diffuse and the opacity slot.

If you do need transparency, you often find issues if the model has multiple materials. In that event, use AlphaTest.  Selecting the object in the scene with these materials and clicking Wall Worm > Wall Worm Materials > Give Obj Mats WW Material (unless you are using WW Pro in which case you should usually use Give Obj Mats + Tex WW Material).

Now in the Materials, you'll find that there is an option to set AlphaTest. Turn that one on for the material.

In all cases, each change requires re-exporting the VMT.

Hopefully these tips help.

XRuinX

Yes! Thank you so much! I tried both the first and second methods, and both worked for me(i wanted to test both). My model's finally ready to upload. Thanks for all the help, and especially for the exporter itself!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk