ze_aqualabs (WIP)

Started by Joris Ceoen, March 18, 2016, 04:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joris Ceoen

This is currently my entry for the first old school level design contest: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2jz65gqvs1et0ux/ze_aqualab_a2.rar?dl=0

----

> INFO <

ze_aqualabs is a Zombie Escape map and is currently under development for CS:GO. Zombie Escape is a mod where many online players fight a horde of player-controlled zombies to escape and survive an apocalypse scenario. It already features over hundreds of maps and has always been a free, popular mode since Counter-Strike 1.6

It features up to a max of 64 players on a server and the maps are always made with this scale in mind. Simple and usually short ZE maps consist of a few escape routes with the goal of reaching a vehicle or other means of transportation to get rid of the zombie, or a nuclear missile launch to wipe the horde once and for all. Either way, you get to escape and defend against zombies with little other means to care about.

More advanced maps consist of complex puzzles combined with incredible boss battles that have tons of weaponry and powers to fight against the human group. Some of the most impressive maps have multiple levels, bossfights and special items + characters to spice everything up. My absolute all-time favorite is ze_Predator by Luffaren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuz52d_pHLM

I don't want to compare maps, as each ZE map is unique on its own, but I tend to borrow many elements that popular zombie escape maps have established in the past. I notably want to have zombies play a part in boss battles should I ever include some in my map.

> CONCEPT <
Needless to say, the current map as it is is nothing more than a concept for what it will be heading towards to in the future. I have only seen one map coming close to the same concept, but I didn't think it was very well executed in terms of visuals and gameplay (although the latter of those two was the better part of it).

With just brushes I could have brought this map further, but time is a difficult and precious thing to find, and I wouldn't believe it was until just a few months ago. Nothing to do about it, and no point whining, the concept of the map is to bring you an interesting world that mainly takes part under the sea, which is why it is called aqualabs. I want to display a factory that is working underwater on some crazy projects that ultimately go wrong, which is where it all starts and why I think Zombie Escape is the ideal mode to contribute the map to.

The next iteration of this map will feature first of all:

• A playable status. Minimap and overlay included.
  • More escape routes.
  • Improved graphics (hardly any difficult at this point).
  • Sounds.
  • Special items and one boss battle.

The goal of making you feel as if you are underwater is very important for me. I will try everything possible to achieve this effect with some trickery stuff that will hopefully not end up being too expensive. Some of the latest shader improvements will help make this easier, so I will take advantage of that.

----

For now, you can simply dive into the map and kind of feel where it wants to go to. I do feel like I need to apologise, because it's not usually my doing to present something so principally unfinished, but I had simply not enough time with everything going on at this very moment. For the next contest I feel like it will provide my entry with more opportunities to show off.

warmeup

Joris Ceoen

the6thmonkey

Seems there are lots of models in there, arn't they not allowed?

Joris Ceoen

Quote from: the6thmonkey on March 18, 2016, 09:40:50 PM
Seems there are lots of models in there, arn't they not allowed?
If you are referring to the video, that's a video about ze_predator. My map can be found in the link. It has no models and consists of only brushwork, although it's not really 'playable' in the gameplay sense. You can enter the map but it's only to see the visual concept (for now).

the6thmonkey

Ah yes, I was responding to the video.  I tried the map but couldn't get it working.  I assume I need to install the zombie mod.  I'll try to get it working again later

func_Mathias

Quote from: the6thmonkey on March 19, 2016, 04:04:14 AM
I assume I need to install the zombie mod.  I'll try to get it working again later
I got it working without anything extra.

It has quite the nice atmosphere to it even being wip, keep working on this one :D

Joris Ceoen

Thank you very much :) Yea, I couldn't really focus on the mechanics very well at this point, sadly enough, but I tried to bring in the general idea, so I'm happy that you liked that. I will use this map in the next contest(s?) to improve and finalise it. I've always wanted to finish a ZE map after playing the mod for over 4 years, so this is the perfect opportunity.

wallworm

Nice starting concept, Joris.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk