fy_delaunay_world

Started by func_Mathias, March 18, 2016, 11:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

func_Mathias

Update:
New thread in the finished levels section, go there: New Thread

Well this has been one heck of a ride, from confidence to panic over and over, but I did end up with a finished product that I like.
I figured I'd really take advantage of the style of the contest this was made for, which was world geometry only.

I started early on wanting to do a cartoony/painted kind of style, a bit like TF2 or Firewatch, took some inspiration from my very bad first project in max too.
Very quickly the art style fell together and I loved it, but source didn't :'(

Because of all the angles I quickly hit the MAX_PLANES limit, which I've never even considered a threat, so I gave up on my main layout since it was too big.
The map you see here was completed in an intense 6 hours before the deadline, and yet this almost went over the limit, but I made it!
I'll call it a WIP just because it's not all that I wanted it to be, and I am going to use models later to make a bigger version which will be final, though this is technically finished for what it is.

Here's the download and pictures for those interested: Download fy_delaunay_world from the Workshop
(Heads up, at the moment having bots cuts the framerate drastically..)

the6thmonkey

Downloaded and played, quite fun and a nice style, but I am getting quite big drops in framerate

func_Mathias

Thank you! I don't see why such a simple (not for source apparently) thing would be so tasking, final triangle count isn't really high either I'd say "Total triangle count: 9607".
Not much I can do to help it either given the assets and layout of the level sadly :c

Also if you downloaded early on you (or others) might have been missing the background trees, this was a little screwup with me not knowing brushes couldn't clamp textures..

Edit:
Found out it's the bots that lower the fps, the more you kill the higher it gets :v
This is quite odd, not sure why, maybe I should make my own nav mesh instead of letting the game generate it, I might update it soon.

If anyone knows why the bots drop the framerate so much please do share!

Joris Ceoen

Darng this looks pretty amazing! Good work :D

the6thmonkey

Indeed, I like the clever use of textures, to make a fake forest to add detail

warmeup

func_Mathias

Thanks guys, glad the artstyle is enjoyed :D

On the note of bot lag again, chacking the nav mesh generated and it seems fine from what I can tell so I still have no idea why they cause lag, just play with people I guess.

wallworm

Looks great. I ran around and FPS stayed at 299... but I didn't load bots. We'll see what the judges think.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk