Many issues with displacements

Started by Shirk, April 29, 2016, 11:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shirk

Ive been having tons of issues with displacements. First off, I cant seem to get any displacements to export into a vmf. I started by creating a plane, and dividing it into 32x32 equal parts, and then converted the selection to displacements, which all seems to work fine. But when I try to export them to a vmf, there is nothing exported.

Another issue that I am having is Im not sure how I can further subdivide/increase the power of the displacements, they all seem to be stuck at a power of 2 which is far to low for my needs.

Lastly, if I open Anvil, change displacement size and power, move the helper and have 32 rows and 32 columns and Create Displacements at Helper it all works according to plan, except that one row/column is in the correct location and the rest are offset.

wallworm

At this time, the preferred way of making displacements is from face selections. The Displacement at Helper function was the first iteration that was later replaced by the selection function. I will look into fixing the rows/column alignment, but you are probably better off using face selection. I suggest that so that you can set the base materials and UVs and basic vertex alpha blending on a single object before you generate all the displacements. That makes it faster to have the displacements ready to go for fine-tuned alpha blending and makes it easy to work with the UVs.

In terms of no displacements in VMF: There are usually two reasons. 1) The VMF exporter has Displacements off in the export list OR 2) The displacements actually did export but are in a hidden layer. There is currently a bug in the VMF exporter that sets some layers hidden when they shouldn't be. This won't affect compiling directly from a Max, but it will affect opening in Hammer and compiling from there. If these are not the case, you should send me the scene.

As for displacement resolution, you can change the default resolution in the global settings in the Level Design tab.

To change an existing displacement power, select those you want to change, set the Power in the Displacement Tab of Anvil and click the little mod button next to the power. While this is useful, you'll often need to sew changed displacements. It's better to set the power you want at creation and not change them. Note that you should never change the power of any displacement you've added to a Sculpt Mesh. Sculpt mesh resolutions cannot be changed. So if you need to update a sculpt mesh resolution, you need to revert it back to pieces, change the pieces, and recreate the sculpt mesh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk