WWMT with no actual textures?

Started by mitchthenotsotitch, May 07, 2016, 10:55:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitchthenotsotitch

I have just followed a tutorial at this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPq0QF2vbBg

to make a Pokeball and finished it. It looks really good but when I tried to export it, I was able to export the qc and model but when I tried to export the vtf's and vmt it said It doesn't have any textures. The tutorial only uses colours instead of actual textures so I am wondering if the VTF step is needed if only colours are used? I am quite new to making custom content as well as using 3ds max so I am unable to answer this question myself...

sorry for being a nuisance but I really want to learn more about 3d modelling and making custom content for source games...

wallworm

If there are no textures, then you have two choices:

Keep the model with Color-Only VMT files (which is allowed, actually... you don't need textures if just using solid colors).

Or... Unwrap the Model and use Render To Texture. Make sure to bake the bitmaps to TGA format.

mitchthenotsotitch

The first option I am not sure whether is possible as when I try to export the vtf's it says there need to be bitmap or psd vtf's which I obviously don't have. I will have a look at the second option.

wallworm

That warning needs to be removed. It was put on that UI years ago... but support for materials without bitmaps was added quite a while back. The Material will export into a VMT now even if there are no bitmaps. As long as the object has actual Standard Materials, they should export as solid colors.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk