Show Off > Animated Models

Escalator animation fine in 3ds but artifacts in SDK/game

(1/2) > >>

kinggambit:
I'm pretty sure what's happening is that instead of teleporting an escalator step from the end of the path to the start, the step will move really quickly across resulting in those quick flashes of the steps. Tried testing out the various "Sequence" options but havent gotten it to fix the issue.

Here's a video clip of the animation issue for an escalator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIhkXKTFqSM

Not sure what's causing it but it seems perfectly fine when in 3ds max. Here's the max scene if interested:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-vAs10wX5pRV1VTVkVmVGdQSnc/view?usp=sharing

Joris Ceoen:
The steps should probably go to a bone that is in a rectangle form under the escalator instead of going directly to the bottom bone of the escalator steps.

func_Mathias:
I think you are right with it not teloporting in an instant, seems to be interpolating and some times visible for a frame.
What you should probably do is to have an extra frame for them to move only down to the same level as the bottom of the escalator, then horizontal to the place they appear from.
Think of it as a triangle shape where what you have animated already is the slope.

Joris Ceoen:

--- Quote from: func_Mathias on May 19, 2016, 12:44:31 pm ---I think you are right with it not teloporting in an instant, seems to be interpolating and some times visible for a frame.
What you should probably do is to have an extra frame for them to move only down to the same level as the bottom of the escalator, then horizontal to the place they appear from.
Think of it as a triangle shape where what you have animated already is the slope.

--- End quote ---
Exactly. The pods in the citadel of Half-Life 2 are animated exactly this way. If you look at the ones that are always teleporting from point A to B endlessly in the model viewer, you can see them teleporting behind immediatly.

kinggambit:
ah I see. So there's no real way of preventing that interpolation?

I know this is probably the wrong place to ask this but I'm oblivious on animating. I used a maxscript online to equally place the steps along a path that updates live to any changes to the spline.

Is there a way to "squish" the new downard path line so that it only takes 1 frame to travel for all the steps? Seems like it'd save a lot of extra steps from being made as well.

edit: actually, I'll do some research on curve editor before and get back to you guys. Animation has been something I've been meaning to actually grasp.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version