Material Library Generator

Started by wallworm, November 22, 2011, 11:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallworm

I've not had problems with importing blend textures. Are you able to make a library of standard brush materials? Can you paste one of the VMT files that are failing?

the6thmonkey

wallworm

That file looks like it should work.

Do the TGAs:

nmrih/grass/cb_grass01.tga
nmrih/grass/cb_grass02.tga

exist in the Material Library Generator path?

Also, what version of Max are you using. And are you using Nitrous. For Max 2014+ you must be using Nitrous for the blend material to work correctly in the viewport. Otherwise, the DX material in WW won't work if using D3D display driver. Perhaps that is the case?

the6thmonkey

Cheers, haven't really played with textures that much.  I assumed they'd all be in the same folder or 2 layers to one tga etc
I hadn't extracted tga's in another folder, thanks again.  Also my textures on the displacements seem to scale to incredibly small levels but I'll find a way to solve that by reading up :)

Edit: Solved the scale issue, my textures were defaulting to real world scale because I use 3ds max design.  Changed that it and it works perfectly now

CarbonCopyCat

I'm not sure if this is due to a bug in WWMT or an issue with the way I have my files set up, but all materials generated from the Material Library Generator have the .tga files pointed to the wrong path, setting the folder they're in as the root folder.
For example, I'm trying to use TF2's brick textures, so I extract the textures and convert them and then place them in the "Team Fortress 2\tf\materials" folder. Then I set the MatGen path in WWMT to "E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\materials\brick," which is the folder the brick textures are located. However, the .tga paths are wrong, so the Diffuse bitmap in the material "brickwall001" points to "\Brick\brickwall.tga" instead of "E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\materials\brick\brickwall.tga." (Same goes for the Bump map.)
If further clarification is needed about the issue, feel free to ask. Hope this gets fixed (or I figure out what I'm doing wrong), as setting up material libraries manually is a huge pain.

wallworm

Quote from: CarbonCopyCat on December 01, 2014, 08:20:39 PM
I'm not sure if this is due to a bug in WWMT or an issue with the way I have my files set up, but all materials generated from the Material Library Generator have the .tga files pointed to the wrong path, setting the folder they're in as the root folder.
For example, I'm trying to use TF2's brick textures, so I extract the textures and convert them and then place them in the "Team Fortress 2\tf\materials" folder. Then I set the MatGen path in WWMT to "E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\materials\brick," which is the folder the brick textures are located. However, the .tga paths are wrong, so the Diffuse bitmap in the material "brickwall001" points to "\Brick\brickwall.tga" instead of "E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\materials\brick\brickwall.tga." (Same goes for the Bump map.)
If further clarification is needed about the issue, feel free to ask. Hope this gets fixed (or I figure out what I'm doing wrong), as setting up material libraries manually is a huge pain.

A couple of things. I would not personally copy all of the assets into the actual game folder paths. There is nothing stopping this, but I would avoid it because you may want to do a file purge in the future and if you put the assets into that path, you may not know what was needed and what was copied.

That being said, with the info you provided above, the Mat Gen Root should be E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\materials

(What I personally do is extract the VMTs/VTFs to another folder altogether. In my case, the MatGen path is: C:\Users\Shawn\Documents\Vault\Demonstration\sceneassets\images\materials_csgo\materials ... and that folder is the extracted materials folder from the VPK/GCF with VTFs converted to TGA.).

Orvid King and I are currently working on Wall Worm Pro that has a lot of improvements to the material library importer. Orvid has cut the import time down very dramatically. Stay tuned on that version.

CarbonCopyCat

Turns out the problem was caused by not checking "Recursive" in the Material Library Generator. Sometimes it's just the smallest things that cause the biggest problems  :-\

CarbonCopyCat

I've been having some issues with this lately. I've been trying to import materials from a custom Gmod gamemode into WW, and whenever I do, it chokes up around 1/6th of the way through and displays this message:
-- Unable to convert: undefined to type: Float
It also shows this:

wallworm

Sorry about that. I think this was something we fixed in the WW Pro material importer... I'll fix it in normal WW in update this week. I think if you find the file it is choking on and post it, I can tell you how to edit the VMT to work in the meantime.

wallworm

This should be fixed in the current WW just loaded. Thanks for reporting.

lokkdokk

When i try to  "Import WADs from Folder", i see that mesage in console.  It is not an internal or external command operable program or batch file
But when i try "Import WADs from MAP " , i see that message. 

My settings screen:

wallworm

A couple things: 1) I updated WW Today that will check to make sure XWAD is installed when importing WADS. 2) I've updated the Documentation on Importing WAD Files. Take note of the new section at the bottom.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk