Exporting models, direction origin and bones correctly(vehicles)

Started by jammarman, June 10, 2016, 05:18:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jammarman

I have for some time been trying to make my own vehicles for use in Gmod however I am constantly running into issues.

Here is how I have been attempting so far.
Make the mesh,
create a collision hull,
create bones for wheels and player view and such,
then export it all from wallworm, I locked the qc in the wallworm helper and then I write in my own attachments in the qc and link them to the bones.

I have done this several times and I am at the point where I can get a vehicle ingame, and and move it around, but there are always problems. The main ones being, model facing the wrong way and the car drives sideways causing spinning and the car to "spaz" out, but also the car facing the right direction but the wheels rotated around the origin and incorrectly positioned.

If somebody could please specifically write out all the steps I need to take when compiling a model to ensure that everything is facing the right direction, everything (bones, Collision) have all been assigned correctly etc.

Any help at all is much appreciated.

Edit: if anyone can point me in the direction of anyone or any resources/tutorials on creating vehicles in source I have searched time and time again and haven't been able to find much at all.

wallworm

You might be better off linking it all inside Max and generating the attachments that way to make sure that all the orientations of attachments and bones are lined up as expected.

For the individual parts (like wheels, etc) you may want to export them with the Use Local Origin as Origin and/or making sure all meshes are aligned to world before export. Getting all of the alignment of the bones is probably all you need to do.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk