prerogative

Author Topic: Delete Faces Modifier  (Read 12558 times)

wallworm

• Administrator
  • Behind me?
    • View Profile
Re: Delete Faces Modifier
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2020, 10:16:24 pm »
I have loaded an update to Delete Faces that removes dead structs now. This update is included in the plugin for 3ds Max 2018+.

AeRo

• Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2020, 06:44:41 am »
Thanks! Works fine.

But another bug: various versions are not compatible with himself. 

If I try to open one old file with newer version - all edit_poly operation after Delete_Faces mod are broken.  I think newer modifier give back another face order.

wallworm

• Administrator
  • Behind me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2020, 08:35:19 am »
Unfortunately, there is no way to have the clean version (devoid of dead verts/faces) and keep face order. The previous implementation deleted the faces from the mesh that you see, but they still existed in the data--and because they still existed, face order was preserved. In the update, the dead faces get cleared--meaning that face IDs that are deleted get filled with previously higher face IDs. There is no way to avoid this.

A workaround is to use the older implementation and clean at the end. But the current implementation is the correct way it should be done so I will keep the current logic in the modifier. It's unfortunate this affects previous usage that has topology-dependent modifiers above, but I didn't notice the issue until you posted about the issue. My habit is to avoid using topology dependent modifiers whenever possible--and the situations I built this for didn't highlight the issue in my own usage.