Need assistance with exporting simple test scene

Started by MASSIVELIVEFUN, June 30, 2016, 10:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MASSIVELIVEFUN

Hello everyone,

I've been recently dabbling with Wallworm and the Wallworm Lession Videos on the Youtube channel. I made a simple room like explained in those videos along with hint/skip brushes optimizing the already simple map. Also, by using Anvil, i've tagged all of the world geometry as brushes, so that the bsp, vis, and rad compilers can recognize what's the world geometry to seal the map properly.
Finally I've added an light_environment and info_player_t/ct entities just to have light and be in the level after the compilation. (Pictures include in the post's attachments of the 3ds max scene)

And yes the scene is covered in just nodraw and skybox textures. I just wanted to see if the compiler would work and planned on just using the mat_wireframe command to navigate through the level after the fact.

However every time I export the map issues arise from the moment right after getting the prompt to overwrite the vmf file that's in my level directory.

• An Object called Object00X is created every time I export the scene to a vmf. These object can build up when I continually export the vmf. I have no idea why this is generated after the export to vmf feature completes.
  • Long error exception handler messages appears in the maxscript listener. I have included both of these error messages in the links below. One error message includes me exporting everything and other error message when exporting just the world geometry, the lights (the one light_environment), and the hidden objects (whatever these may be).
  • A quick glance at the vmf file show me that world geometry isn't included in the level. Even when I open the vmf in hammer the level is empty. I have tagged the objects in my scene properly as world geometry using Anvil. I don't know why they aren't being included in the vmf. I even have world geometry included in the export. I however don't have brush entities included, but these should just be for func_details and func_brushes, no?
  • After exporting I cannot select any objects in the scene until I restart 3ds max.

http://pastebin.com/i7VLLECT (error_log_alloptions) (this error log is very long, but it repeats for each entity that's in my scene which is a total of five)
http://pastebin.com/VaBMpQ1f (error_log_brushesonly)

Sorry if these issues seem trivial. 3ds Max is fairly new to me and I thought that putting in time would prove to show a solution, but I haven't been able to find one yet.
I am ready to provide more information to get this issue resolved as soon as possible. I just wanna make awesome level with Wallworm already!

Thanks,
Matt

P.S. I don't know if the recent bug fix for Wallworm was supposed to fix my issues. Should I try to download the most recent version of wallworm?

wallworm

Sorry about that. There is a bug in 3ds Max 2017 that breaks some of the functions. I made a workaround for it in an update to WW this last week. So you should download the latest version of WW especially if using Max 2017.

For future reference, in those events that a VMF export fails with an uncaught exception, the UI is in a frozen state. The fix for that is to click WW > WW Utilities > Unfreeze UI. But this specific error should go away if you update WW Pro (as I'm assuming you are a WW Pro user since this probably only affects the WW Pro version).

MASSIVELIVEFUN

Just to let you know the bug fix worked like a charm and I actually got a playtest going last night on csgo!

After the test though I realized that my level files and folders are a mess so I was changing the file path that I export the scene too, but I got a runtime error.

Runtime error: FileStream cannot create: C:\Users\-my user-\Dropbox\Level Design\source_engine_assets\csgo\levels\de_tube_ww\\lession_ww.bat

The 'de_tube_ww' folder doesn't exist in that path anymore, it's now 'lession_ww' as the folder name.
It won't let me export to this new folder path unless I rename that folder back to 'de_tube_ww' otherwise I get this runtime error and other error logs located below.

http://pastebin.com/nD8Rxvn0 (The entire error log)

I don't know if there is a simple way to fix this. I tried changing the project path and reinstalling wallworm into 3ds max, but I get this issue consistently.

I don't know if this type of issue calls for another thread to be created so that this issue is more noticeable.
Sorry if I didn't post this issue is the right place.

But otherwise,

Thank you again

wallworm

Hmmm... I'll have to test and try to recreate that.

What happens if you re-export the scene with a whole new file path entirely? Does this error continue if you restart Max and try to save to a new path?

You shouldn't need to do any reinstalling of WW for this specific case. I'll try to recreate the error and make a fix. I've exported scenes to arbitrary paths and new names all the time, so I'm curious to the culprit. It is potentially another 2017 bug that I haven't noticed (as I'm still mostly using 2016). I'll investigate.

MASSIVELIVEFUN

This error does come back everytime I restart 3ds max and then the moment I try to click 'Export scene as game level' for the first time that runtime error appears.
Every other time I try to click on 'Export scene as game level' on the 'Wall Worm VMF Exporter Window 2.62' it simply doesn't respond to any of my inputs.

Also when I change a tick box or if I change a value it will change. For example, the in PAK assets tickbox will change, and Sun spread will change to any value I choose it to be. However the windows system sounds charm jingles every time. This sound cues no matter what I click in the VMF exporter window and it only stops when I reset 3ds max.

wallworm

OK, I can help clear a little of the confusion. If an error happens in the VMF Export, the VMF Exporter is crashed and none of the buttons will do anything. In that event:

1) Close VMF Exporter
2) Click WW > WW Utilities > Unfreeze UI
3) Relaunch the VMF exporter

But can you do this for me: Click File > Save As > Archive and email the zip file of your scene to me. I will test the file in Max 2017. My email is in the WW Readme.

MASSIVELIVEFUN

I unfroze the UI how you explained how to do it and the issues still persist. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

I will email a zip of the scene to you asap.

MASSIVELIVEFUN

wallworm

I've opened the file and exported it fine as-is, then I exported it to a new path and it worked fine.

So now we need to isolate what is different between our systems. Unfortunately, I'm leaving for the evening. I will be back either later tonight or tomorrow. I will send you my Skype info and hopefully we can figure it out.

wallworm

So I look a little deeper, and the crash you are having is not specific to 2017. I uploaded a WW Pro BETA that you can download from your user account on the WW Pro page. I patched the line that I think is causing your crash. I did not release the update as the official version of WW because there are a bunch of things changing in the system that are not fully tested, including a bunch of material and displacement updates. (This version is half-way through adding 4way blend shaders into WW... but it's not done yet.)

The beta should work fine for you, but if not let me know what issues arise.

I think that the error will go away if the folder, at least, exists where the file was last exported. At that point, after you've exported the scene to a new location, you should be able to delete the old folder. Of course, I think the new patch will remove that error anyway.

I'll check back in with you later on.

MASSIVELIVEFUN

Yeah, my issue came up if I exported to a specific path, changed a sub folder in the path, and then tried to export to the same location.

I was still messing with it and if I just made a new folder with the name I wanted in the same "folder tier" then the exporting would work just fine.

I'm gonna try to see if this WW Beta works.

A million thanks.

MASSIVELIVEFUN

Finally got around to running the Wallworm 2.838 BETA script and I got this error.

-- Error occurred in anonymous codeblock; filename: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2017\scripts\WallWorm.com\common\ww_struct_mat.ms; position: 2801; line: 123
-- MAXScript Auto-load Script Error - C:\Users\Matthew Fuller\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2017 - 64bit\ENU\scripts\startup\wallworm_installation_path.ms Exception:
-- Compile error: Undeclared variable:  Multi_Blender
--  In line:    blendShaderList = #(Blend,CompositeMaterial,Multi_Blender)

The error above is what showed when I first started 3ds max without running the script.
It wasn't a big error so I didn't bother creating a pastebin link.

The error below kept repeating if I attempted to run the install.ms script for the BETA.
What would actually happen though is that the 'Do you accept these terms and condition' window would show up and I could tick the 'I accept' tickbox on and off.
However I would click install and it would lock up generating this error below every time I clicked it.

--  In line:    blendShaderList = #(Blend,CompositeMaterial,Multi_Blender)

I tried refreshing the UI, but I got no results from that.

I am currently on wallworm v2.836 right now.

wallworm

Thanks for that report.

I removed the beta from download for the moment. It added support for converting more than Blend Materials to DirectX materials (including Multi_Blender, which is from the BlurBeta plugins). It wasn't testing if that plugin was installed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk