Transparent textures working in 3ds Max, but not Source - need help

Started by Sigmous, July 11, 2016, 08:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallworm

When I opened the model you sent, I guessed the problem right away. The OpenSubDiv modifier on top of the Skin changes the topology of the mesh... and even though it works right in Max, it can create values that are not actually true to the exporter. Best to never change the topology on top of a skin modifier if you can help it. When I exported the scene directly, I saw the stretching on some verts. When I disabled that modifier, the stretching was fixed. See the attached image.

Note that even though your OpenSubDiv was set to 0 Iterations, it was sending incorrect values to the mesh-reading functions in Max for reading.

If you have to add more resolution to the mesh, you may want to experiment with TurboSmooth, TurboSmooth Pro... or simply resign yourself to re-skinning the mesh after you are done... as the OpenSubDiv modifier is providing incorrect data to the system on top of a skin modifier.

Sigmous

Thank you... so, so much. I just imported three models into Source Filmmaker after removing the OpenSubDiv and it relieved the problem instantly. I'm not even sure why it's there, I didn't add it - it must just be defaulted on there after importing from WoW Model Viewer.  I'm still testing but nothing out of the ordinary has occurred yet. This is fantastic. Thanks SO much. I would've never suspected that modifier.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk