Strange shaded areas on models

Started by Bangfri, July 20, 2016, 06:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bangfri

Good afternoon.
I have faced a new problem. Models in SFM strange react to light. All models aren't lit by light sources under a certain angle, and always have darkened areas. A problem in models, applying different materials to one model these shadows don't change.

Here the simple example, object with 2 spheres in front of light source, and at his rotation around an axis it has to be lit correctly, but at his rotation it is visible that some sites always darkened and don't react to light.

It is one model with primitive monochrome material. I just turn her on 180 in front of light source on her strange shadows appear.

Also, I have noticed that if to rotate model in a max scene before export, then dark zones on a surface rotate too.

May be somebody faced it? In what there can be a problem?

wallworm

Out of town for the moment... so I cannot really investigate. It's not entirely clear to me what is happening from the images as I'm not clear on what images are the expected results and what isn't.

Generally, this relates to the normals/smoothing groups.

Post some new images with comments/arrows/circles highlighting what is correct and what is wrong based on what you are expecting.

Bangfri

it looks so:

https://youtu.be/DArld17hk5s

Apparently from video, the light source was placed in front of object. When I rotate symmetric object round its pivot-center, highlights on it shouldn't change. But instead on object strange shadows appear. On object there are sites which don't react to light.

Same with the character, a half of model of the character reacts to light, other half is always shaded isn't dependent on light arrangement.

wallworm

It looks to me that the normal might be wrong. Can you post a closeup of the model inside HLMV with the Normal vectors turned on? Do they point in the correct directions? If not, adding a Reset XForm modifier can potentially fix that. If not, try to recompile with the Rotated option turned OFF in WWMT if it was turned on.

If that isn't the issue...

Try seeing if the lighting origin of the model is where you expect. See if re-compiling the model with the lighting origin located in the center of mass of the model. Just shooting blindly, as I've never used SFM except for random compiling tests. I don't have enough experience in SFM to know how/why this is happening.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk