Textures look twice as big in game as 3dsmax previews them to be

Started by the6thmonkey, August 12, 2016, 07:52:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the6thmonkey

I've been working on my competition entry, and I've produced a custom substance brush texture.  Unfortunately it seems to export twice as big as it appears in max.  Is there any obvious mistakes that I may have made?  I have made additional brushes to check the geometry wasn't messed up, but that doesn't appear to be the case as the texture seems to be stretched in game, whatever the surface that it is applied to.

wallworm

The likely culprit is that the texture node for the diffuse (which has the WW Texture settings if you are using WW Pro) is set to a different dimension than the actual exported VTF file. Check that the texture node in slate has the same dimensions as the exported VTF. If not, either change the dimensions in the node or re-export the VTF with dimensions to match.

the6thmonkey

Every measurement I find from the normal map, diffuse map and original substance material are set to 512 but the texture the normal and diff seem to be exporting at 1024.  I may just recreate the material and hope that fixes it :)

Edit: Okay I think I've found the bug.  No matter what I set the normal map texture size to, it exports at 1024x1024

Edit2: Changing the textures to vtf version 7.4 seemed to allow the textures to export at 512x512 and fixed all the other issues.  Perhaps version 7.5 has issues

wallworm

Is it just the normal map?

Can you take a screenshot of your shader tree in Slate?

the6thmonkey

Actually it was both the diffuse and normal. I remade the diffuse and normal sections but this only seemed to fix the diffuse.  The normal was fixed by changing the vtf version to 7.4.  Incidentally I was having earlier problems when compiling some of my model textures with 7.5 about a week ago as well.

Here is the picture you requested, I hope thats what you were hoping for:

wallworm

Are you exporting these VTFs from WW or another method? WW global settings have a setting for what version of VTF if using WW Pro. Switching it to 7.4 is probably best.

I don't see a WW Texture CA applied to the Diffuse/Normal output selector nodes in the screenshot. Do those nodes have them? If not, select an object using the multimaterial and click WW > WW Materials > Give Obj Max+Tex WW Materials. See if the settings were already there, then I'm at a lot. I've not had issues where the textures are exporting at the wrong size. You'll have to send me your scene.

the6thmonkey

Don't worry, I fixed the problem by changing the global vtf settings to 7.4. I'm using ww pro to export.  Perhaps its because I'm exporting to an older source game.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk