Converting displacements to sculpt meshes

Started by CarbonCopyCat, August 13, 2016, 11:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarbonCopyCat

Whenever creating a sculpt mesh from displacements, all the displacements are moved to 0,0,0, resulting in the sculpt mesh becoming a giant lump of planes. If you revert the sculpt mesh without committing, the displacements remain in their original locations. Tested this with WW Pro in both Max 2017 and 2015.

wallworm

Can you describe to me in detail the process you are going about making the displacements and anything else you can think of that you my be doing before creating the sculpt mesh.

I use the functions all the time and have never seen this happen. You may need to send me a file to look at.

CarbonCopyCat

The thing is, the bug happens no matter what I do before, so I can't think of a way to reproduce this on your side. I compiled an imgur album giving some examples, which can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/iVYI1

wallworm

I tried to reproduce but cannot. So we will probably need to do a screenshare. I'll IM my skype name. Add me and I'll jump on tomorrow (heading to bed tonight).

wallworm

Just posting here for others. Looks like this issue resulted from a third-party script. We don't know which it is yet, but @CarbonCopyCat is looking into which script it is so there is at least we will all know what script might interfere with WW displacements.

CarbonCopyCat

The plugin turned out to be something called 3dhippie stereocam, so if you have that in your startup folder, just take it out (all four scripts). The MAXScript is encrypted and the script itself was last updated in 2013 (the blog hosting the plugin was last updated in early 2014), so the chances of getting this issue fixed seem to be fairly low, but I don't see much overlap between stereoscopic 3d and WW displacements anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem.

wallworm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk