Assistance with Smoothing Groups on World/Func Brushes

Started by MASSIVELIVEFUN, August 28, 2016, 11:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MASSIVELIVEFUN

I've been trying to smooth a cylinder shape just for myself to understand the mechanics of Hammer and how they are translated into Wallworm. The process of learning everything is very slow because free time is something I don't have. Any way I created a cylinder, slapped on brushify, and then also slapped on Edit Mesh to get the smoothing groups to replicate a pretty nice shadow. However the results are very disappointing as it seems that I am definitely doing something wrong. Can someone point me the right direction because I ctrl+f'ed smoothing groups in the Hammered to the max guide and I have no idea still. Any help is appreciated.

wallworm

MASSIVELIVEFUN

Roger dodger boss man.

Um, my test scene is larger than 512kbs. Do you want me to email it to you?

wallworm

MASSIVELIVEFUN

wallworm

I opened the file and did not see anything specifically wrong with it. That being said, something is odd because I can't compile it straight from Max do to an error I've never seen.

One thing to note is that you shouldn't use cylinders with too many sides on brushes. I forget the exact limit, but I think your brush was 40+ sides? Seems that longtime wisdom is that cylinder brushes shouldn't be that high.

Another thing is that with a Cylinder, you do not need to add an Edit Poly/Mesh modifier and add smoothing groups as long as the base Cylinder object has the Smooth option turned on.

I noticed that your scene viewport setting was set to "Facets" . Generally you should not use that option. It turns off the display of all smoothing inside the viewport. The best setting for general level design is "Shaded" and when doing lighting, then set to Realistic.

I'll share more info later.

MASSIVELIVEFUN

Sorry for the novice mistakes. Teach me the ways Grandmaster Worm. Seriously though, thanks for helping me.

MASSIVELIVEFUN

Any info on this scene, or have you had your hands full with the mdl loader?

wallworm

Sorry, been working a lot on the MDL plugin and misc updates coming to WW very soon. Haven't looked much at other things.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk