Import QC to Max issues

Started by Charles Darwin, September 14, 2016, 11:52:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles Darwin

Hello,

First let me thank you for making this tool. It's been a very long journey trying to figure out how to get sfm models into max  so I can practice animation, lighting and rendering. This tool is an all in one and no doubt has taken a long time to create. So thank you very much.

I have an issue I can't seem to resolve and I hope someone here can help.

I'm trying to import sfm models into max, with the rigs. I have to decompile the models first, using Crowbar (latest version). That seems to go ok as is generates .smd files, a .vta file, and a .qc file. I then import this into max (qc file).

Works great! Unfortunately however, if I try to move anything that involves the face, this happens:

http://imgur.com/a/RoPz0

From my understanding this has to do with flex animations. The face has no bones, thus, it remains stationary. If I open the QC in Blender using Blender Source Tools, I receive the error:

"Warning: 199 VTA vertices (0%) were not matched to a mesh vertex! An object with a vertex group has been created to show where the VTA file's vertices are." Meaning none of the vta verts work.

At this point, I'm completely stuck. No idea where to go from here. How do I get the flex animation to match up with the model and rig?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wallworm

Away from office so only posting small post here. See this thread: http://www.wallworm.net/index.php/topic,1627.0.html

At this time, decompiled models are not going to work in WW when it comes to VTA files because the indexes don't match in decompiled VTA files with the decompiled SMD files. I may add support for that, but honestly I'd rather see Crowbar simply keep the indexes the same.

Charles Darwin

Thanks for replying.

Do you happen to know how to fix the issue manually. Is that even possible?

If not, is there a different decompile program you know of, that keeps the .vta aligned with the .smd? I feel like I'm very close to getting this to work, but just can't nail this last step.

If all of that fails, do you know how to get sfm models into max? It seems nobody is able to do this, but I can't be the only one trying to figure it out.

Thanks again.

wallworm

I'll see if we can add flexes into the upcoming MDL importer. That will solve the problems by bypassing need for decompiling.

Charles Darwin

That would be phenomenal.

If that works I'll happily donate some money to you. Is there a place I can do that for future reference?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk