Wall Worm doesn't compile after hitting the export button and just does nothing

Started by Joris Ceoen, December 28, 2011, 03:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joris Ceoen

I have a strange thing: It used to work perfectly, I got all paths set up correctly and I have exported models before.

What happened: I was as usual animating my model, and suddenly I got a BSOD... Ok I return to 3DS Max 2012 and I redo my animations which I lost.
I got back to the point where it crashed, and everything worked fine.

Now, when I hit the export button, he start creating all the files, and at the "SMD MODEL pridedemon"

It just stays there, it does NOTHING AT ALL. The only thing I can do is close the compile window, and by that nothing happened.
I couldn't find a single thing to do to fix it, any1 help?

I have provided a screenshot of the compile window

wallworm

I've never had that happen. Maybe something got corrupted in the file. Feel free to send me the file and I will see if the model compiles here or not. I'll PM my email address.

Joris Ceoen

Quote from: wallworm on December 28, 2011, 03:10:29 PM
I've never had that happen. Maybe something got corrupted in the file. Feel free to send me the file and I will see if the model compiles here or not. I'll PM my email address.
I've tried to compile it with $staticprop and then it works, but when I want my animation with it, it doesn't work.

If I want to send the file, I must also add the model to it right?

wallworm

Send me the Max file that has the model and the WWMT helper already set up in your scene.

Joris Ceoen

wallworm

OK... I have a suspcion that you are having problems because various elements in the model are Grouped. WWMT has known problems with any set of items that are grouped. It's been documented but easy to miss... but for anyone reading this thread... NEVER GROUP ITEMS... use layers and linking instead. (At some point I may address the grouping issue... but I'm not sure when).

I noticed in one screen shot above you have two (2) WWMT helpers in the scene... this may have happened because the WWMT helper is grouped with something else in the model... and maybe a second one was created in the scene...?

Unforunately, selecting the WWMT helper and hitting Ungroup caused something in the skin to mess up.

In any event, I was able to compile the model... but when I added some sequences... the model did not run like it should... so I'm not entirely sure what is going on. I don't know if there is simply something generally corrupted in the file or if it is a setup issue.

Can you think of anything you've done differently in this model from ones you've successfully exported before?

Joris Ceoen

Quote from: wallworm on December 28, 2011, 03:45:15 PM
OK... I have a suspcion that you are having problems because various elements in the model are Grouped. WWMT has known problems with any set of items that are grouped. It's been documented but easy to miss... but for anyone reading this thread... NEVER GROUP ITEMS... use layers and linking instead. (At some point I may address the grouping issue... but I'm not sure when).

I noticed in one screen shot above you have two (2) WWMT helpers in the scene... this may have happened because the WWMT helper is grouped with something else in the model... and maybe a second one was created in the scene...?

Unforunately, selecting the WWMT helper and hitting Ungroup caused something in the skin to mess up.

In any event, I was able to compile the model... but when I added some sequences... the model did not run like it should... so I'm not entirely sure what is going on. I don't know if there is simply something generally corrupted in the file or if it is a setup issue.

Can you think of anything you've done differently in this model from ones you've successfully exported before?
Grouping... And therefor it's probably the cause of no compiling! I'll check it out immediatly! Thanks for the answer!

Joris Ceoen

Quote from: jorisceoen on December 28, 2011, 03:53:26 PM
Quote from: wallworm on December 28, 2011, 03:45:15 PM

Grouping... And therefor it's probably the cause of no compiling! I'll check it out immediatly! Thanks for the answer!

EDIT: YES! You are amazing! It's exactly because I grouped! Thanks very much it works now! (For those who have the problem too: Just UNGROUP you entire model, and then compile it again, it will work).

And as you said, I didn't find anything about the grouping issue, so I couldn't guess it was that. Thank you again! Saves me houres of work now

wallworm

Glad that solved the dilemma... I need to make this easier to learn in the docs :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk