Cthulhu

Started by wallworm, May 15, 2011, 12:31:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallworm

I'm working on Mr. Cthulhu. Loving the new Unwrap UVW tools in Max 2012... now that they work right with the Hot Fix. These screen shots are in Max > Mudbox > Max.

He's being used in an animation I'm doing for someone. I'll also use him in a Source map as well.

Fletch

Amazing stuff!

I just got into mudbox today. Love it! Interface is much friendlier than zbrush

wallworm

Quote from: Fletch on May 15, 2011, 10:30:58 AM
Amazing stuff!

I just got into mudbox today. Love it! Interface is much friendlier than zbrush

Thanks Fletch!

Yeah I tried out ZBrush and Mudbox at the same time three years back... I tried ZBrush first since it was the "industry standard". But I found that I wasn't going to be able to make much before my trial ran out. But when I opened Mudbox... it took me around 20 minutes to start doing exactly what I wanted. So I went with Mudbox... and I'm happy with it.

The biggest challenge for me was learning to properly Unwrap my models. It's a skill that I only recently mastered (in the last 6 months)... so for a long time I sent models from Max to Mudbox only to find myself with funky artifacts, etc. I found out the hard way that you can't depend on Render To Texture's Automatic flattening for anything complex. RTT's automatic flattening is fine for some models you need to get into Source quickly that don't need a lot of attention... but it really fails for more organic models.

I'm happy that the new Unwrap Editor in Max 2012 has been updated and optimized.

Fletch

Haha yeah unwrapping has always been a bit of a chore. I'll have to check out 2012 today! Do all of your plugins still work properly with it?

Keep us updated on Mr Cuthulhu!

wallworm

Quote from: Fletch on May 15, 2011, 09:43:11 PM
I'll have to check out 2012 today! Do all of your plugins still work properly with it?

Yes, my tools are now compatible with Max 2012... but not all things are yet supported.

Cannonfodder has updated his SMD Exporter for 2012.

Wunderboy has not yet got his SMD Exporter out for 2012 (a few features in WWMT only work with the Wunderboy SMD Exporter... so for those [Exporting Non-Renderable Mesh as Bone]) you'll have to wait for his update.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk