One of my car wheel bones is weirdly offset when exported

Started by cynaraos, October 25, 2016, 05:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cynaraos

I've tried compiling a car model for use as a prop_vehicle_jeep car, but when it's compiled, one bone, the wheel bone for the right front wheel, is offset from where it should be, practically as if the bone moved without what's skinned to it (the wheel) following it.
when the wheel is spun, either ingame or through posing in HLMV, it pivots originating from around the tire of the wheel, and the wheel can be spun to look like it's properly centered to its axle.

this is how it should obviously look like:

this is how it ends up looking:

I exported the 'suspension', 'turning', and 'wheelspin' sequences through the standalone Wall Worm SMD exporter, and I exported the meshes with the 'all-in-one' Wall Worm window's 'Export SMDs' button, since I'd rather write my own QC.

what could possibly have gone wrong?

I can freely provide my 3DS Max 2016 scene and QC/SMDs if they're needed.

edit:
you'll have to excuse me, but I have to go to bed right now.

wallworm

You'll have to send me the 3ds Max scene to understand your issue.

wallworm

There is something about the file that is odd in that it won't display any of the WWMT Helpers in the scene. That's not at issue here, though. It's just odd.

Is it only the wheel that is off? Everything else is correct in the final MDL?

At first glance, I see nothing about the scene that looks amiss.

Does the scene compile correctly without the $origin command in the QC?

The most likely culprits are that some SMDs are not matching the same bone hierarchy. Test that all the bodygroups are using all the bones from the main model.

cynaraos

I've hidden the 'shapes' category in the 'Display' category, which is probably why you aren't seeing my helpers. either way, I also see nothing wrong with my scene.

yes, only the right front wheel is off.

I tried compiling without the $origin command, but all my wheel bones end up flipped 180 degrees -

before I made this thread for some help, I re-exported all of my SMDs, so they should all be using the same skeleton.

wallworm

Hmmm. Well I know that when I set models up with bodygroups inside Max with WW functions, it always works. I'll try to make an updated video on that setup soon. You can use that as a scaffold then manually overwrite the QC once it's generated with all the data in proper structure

cynaraos

it doesn't look like it has to do with the wheels being bodygroups, or an issue with animations, since when I remove all my animation lines and add the front wheels to my main body SMD, the issue is still present.

cynaraos

this also now happens to another model I've tried compiling.
it's basically the same, the right front wheel bone is offset in a weird manner while all the other bones are exactly like they should be.

cynaraos

I forgot to mention that I got help with fixing the problem, just a few days after I last posted - it was simply caused by the fact that I had used the "Mirror" button in 3DS Max to lazily mirror the front "steering" bones.

wallworm

Ahh yes... do not use mirror on bones. It always turns out badly :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk