Help: Importing VTF brushes texture problems and model issues [EP2]

Started by darendark, October 29, 2016, 02:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darendark

Hello,
I am really excited at the prospect of adding Wallworm and 3DS Max to my mapping workflow! I am trying to import a func_detail window made of brushes into 3DS Max Wallworm. When I do this, all the textures that Wallworm copies seem to be automatically brightened to an unrealistic level. Here I have included a side by side comparison of the vtf (Left and larger) with the tga Wallworm (right and smaller) produced:

I am new to Wallworm, so I am unsure if there is perhaps a setting I need to change to stop this from happening.

However, if I do follow through with making the model anyway, the lighting on the model is all wrong, as if it isn't able to be illuminated. (Pictured below on the Bottom is the model exported from Wall worm, top is the original func_detail) This has been compiled on Full HDR settings in the Episode 2 engine, so it shouldn't be a compiling issue. And there are no leaks on the map either, so it isnt that. Again, I am new to Wall worm and followed some of the tutorials posted on the Wall worm youtube page to import my brushes and export my model. Any help would be very much appreciated, let me know if you need me to share my settings.

wallworm

There are two separate issues here.

1) Washed out textures. You actually don't need to worry about that if all you are doing is converting an object. If that is that case, simply do not re-export the texture and the game will use the original VTF. It's only a display issue in Max. However, here is an article I posted this morning on this very topic of washed out textures (I assume you were the one who emailed me last night?)

2) Black Prop Textures. This is very likely due to the Material being set to export as LightMappedGeneric instead of VertexLitGeneric.

Here's the issue. When you import a BRUSH it will import with the BRUSH'S material. That will likely be a LightMappedGeneric--which isn't valid for models. This means that you'll need to change the shader type. You can do this by opening slate, using the pick material button, pick your model in the scene, then pick the model. Now open the material in the material editor and click the For Model button and change the shader to VertexLitGeneric. NOTE: That if that material is still on brushes, you cannot just do this. Instead, you need to COPY the material in Slate, change the COPIED Material's shader and then re-assign the copied material to your model--making sure to rename the copied material to an appropriate name--then re-export the model's material.

In both cases, if the VTF resides inside the VPK, you do not need to re-export the texture, just the material.

EDIT: After re-reading, I realized you weren't saying textures are black. That may have been from email last night or another person's email. It's hard for me to tell from just the images if you didn't take other steps. You may need to send the original scene to me (MAX) by clicking File > Save As ... Archive and email me the zip to see if there is actually a setup problem. If not, then it could be a prop setting, info lighting setting, prop origin setting, etc.

darendark

Hey thanks for the quick reply!
And for the quick article write up!

Alright so for issue 1, I can basically delete my materials folder and the game should revert back to the original textures?

As for Issue 2, alright I will have to try that later today. Someone else told me to simply open up the .VMT of my exported textures and change the "lightmappedgeneric" with "vertexlitGeneric" :P That is what I ended up doing.  I take it that is not a good way to do it? :P heh.

wallworm

Note I edited my post above.

Deleting materials will revert the VTF/VMT. Just remember you'll need to re-export the VMTs that are used in the model.

As for the changing after the fact. It's not necessarily wrong... but if you end up making changes inside Max and re-exporting... it means you will have to keep changing. So it's better to maintain the changes inside Max for anything that Max can control.

darendark

Please reply to the "f1_X......" email so that I can email you the attachment. I don't have your email address, I used your website's email feature last time.

wallworm

My email is located in the WW readme. Preparing to be AFK for a bit so I may not respond so promptly.

darendark

I have sent the email!

If this is of any help, I have uploaded pics of my wallworm settings in general. http://imgur.com/a/H7g5m

Perhaps some of the settings don't work well with Episode 2.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk