Sometimes the SMD Exporter freezes and export dialog won't close

Started by wallworm, January 24, 2012, 08:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallworm

There is a known bug in the Wunderboy SMD Exporter 1.6 (and older) that causes it to freeze when exporting some models. When this happens, there will be an export window that is frozen in the screen that says it is writing meshes... but it never finishes and there is no way to close that window. Closing Max is the only way to close that little window.

Furthermore, the SMD file the exporter was trying to write is locked and cannot compile until Max shuts down. Even then the file is invalid.

This bug is one that Wunderboy is aware of and addressing in the upcoming update to the exporter.

You can, however, avoid this problem altogether. If you have a mesh that breaks the exporter, it most likely means that it does not have valid UVW mapping applied. For versions 1.6 and olfer, the exporter needs all geometry to have UVW mapping in channel 1. For meshes that fail that don't need specific UVW mapping, simply applying a UVW Map modifier to the mesh should solve that problem.

Wunderboy is developing a fix for this in Version 1.7.

wallworm

I should have updated this thread a long time ago.

The steps above can help you with the problems mentioned. However, at this time, I now recommend that you change your WW settings to use the WW SMD Exporter as it does not have the same kind of problem. Also, WW SMD is currently the only SMD exporter for Max 2013+. I no longer test regularly how WW updates work with the older plugins since I am using Max 2013 (and will soon move on to 2014).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk