Displacements textures not rendering properly

Started by the6thmonkey, December 02, 2016, 08:41:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the6thmonkey

Hi,

I've been testing out the displacement texturing before I apply it to my entire map and have found that the blend textures are not displaying correctly on the displacements.  Only one texture displays and the second is completly black.  I am using 3dsmax 2014. 

I am curious if the issue is related to this issue you seemed to have had a few years back:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-forum/bug-directx-shader-using-packaged-blend-dxsas-fx-is-broken/td-p/4288969

In the shader, there is nothing to select under technique.  I am using blend_dxsas.fx

I have attached an image showing the issue.

wallworm

OK, I believe the problem is that blend_dxsas doesn't work for Max 2014+ and you need to use blend_dxsas11_nitrous.fx. Max 2014+ switched to DirectX 11 and the FX files are different.

When WW converts Blend Materials to DX shaders, it will use blend_dxsas11_nitrous.fx if your display is using Nitrous or blend_dxsas.fx if the display is using a legacy display when your global settings for Displacement DX shader is set to "blend_dxsas11_nitrous". blend_dxsas.fx does not have the technique parameters.

Manually change the shader to scripts/WallWorm.com/WallWormSimpleDisplacements/maps/fx/blend_dxsas11_nitrous.fx and see if it now works (you'll have to assign its textures). If it doesn't work it means you need to switch the viewport to use Nitrous and restart Max.

I now use the Black Mesa DX shader exclusively... but that works only in 2015+. As such, I haven't tested the legacy shaders in a year; and I haven't changed them in a few years.

If this doesn't help, send me the scene and I'll look at the Material setup.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk