Having problem with export VTF's

Started by X82, April 17, 2011, 10:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

X82

Firstly, let me echo the feelings of others by saying thanks for the fantastic work in this tool.

I'm trying to export vtfs for a model I'm working on for Team Fortress 2.
I have the following folders set for TF2:

For Root Models: Steam/Steamapps/Team Fortress 2/tf/models
For Root Materials: Steam/Steamapps/Team Fortress 2/tf/Materials

I am in the process of re-modelling the Frontier Justice and when I export it, the default valve textures appear in the model viewer, perfect.
However, I have added a part to the gun which I applied a diffuse bitmap (tga) to as a test. When I export vtf the dos box appears and states:

QuoteProblem figuring out outputdir for G:/Games/Steam/Steamapps/USERNAME/team fortress 2/tf/materials/models/weapons/c_frontierjustice/testimage

Where testimage is my test tga file.
The process leaves the TGA and batch file in the correct directory but it just keeps saying the above and doesn't produce a VTF or VMT.

Any thoughts?

wallworm

The problem is that you did not set the correct directories for the tool. Make sure to read the docs on the settings floater. The paths in the setup must point to SDK sub-folders... not the game sub-folders.

There is also a video explaining it all at the bottom of the installation instructions that might be helpful.

X82

Many thanks. After some tinkering problem is solved, but there seems to be another.
I know its the wrong thread but I thought I would ask rather than make another one.

I have my gun now and its animated over a total of 100 frames between 20 and 50.
When I add the sequence I specify frames 22 to 50.
But when I export the model the open the smd to the animation in notepad++ it only has frames up to 35 and there is no animation values present. IE the values remain the same throughout the 35 frames. It's like the idle animation.
Am I missing something?

wallworm

The sequence fields don't set start/end times until after you add a name into the sequence list... so click on the name of the sequence and see if the correct values appear in the form. (In other words, if you enter the start/end times and then click Add Sequence, it won't have the right frames... only change them after the name is added to list).

Also, make sure that you don't have $staticprop set in the Model & Basic QC rollout.

X82

doubled checked all settings. statiprop was already unchecked and the only sequence in the list shows correct, frames 22-55.
I can play the animation find in 3DS, but exporting poses problems. It did use to work, ironically enough, seemed to stop working when I fiddling with the model/material locations.

wallworm

I opened your file and was able to get the animation to export. I moved the Skin modifier to the top of the modifier stack. Doing that will also eliminate any modifier stack warnings that pop up do to WWMT iterating over the stack to find bones associated to the model.

Hopefully that will fix all the problems. Let me know.

X82

Thanks for looking into it for me.
I did as you said. Moved the skin up the stack on the "popup" object.
Made sure the sequence was in place, frames 22 to 55.
Clicked export and nothing has changed.

Can you advise me how you selecting all models?
Currently, I select pick model, click the gun. Then i drag a box around everything on the screen and click add to sel.
Is this correct?

wallworm

Once you've set up a model with WWMT, it creates a text helper in the scene that starts with WWMT: and is the name of your model... you can click that to "retrieve" a model that you've already set up.

So in the case of your scene, I opened the file, opened WWMT, then clicked the Pick button in WWMT and selected that text helper. You can alternatively select the root object that you first assigned to the tool to prefill it... but if you have multiple objects it may be easy to forget which one was the first root mesh.

Retrieving the details from the WWMT helper is the prefered method.

X82

Nice. Thanks so much. The more I get into these tools the more helpful they are. I shall keep trying with the animations, I know I missed something.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk