Auto-planar UV mapping Request

Started by Shirk, January 12, 2017, 10:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shirk

Im not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I am wondering if I can request a new script / feature that will help level design for other engines such as Unity or UE4. I feel as its a pretty simple request since some of the other tools (CorVex) already do this in a similar way, but not the desired way for non BSP engines.

What Im asking is if there could be a new modifier made that will automatically unwrap all faces of the mesh when creating and editing a mesh, exactly like how ProBuilder for Unity or how mesh editing and creation work in Source 2. Im asking this because having UVs created and updated in realtime can save a lot of time and work, especially for geometry and it would be immensely useful.

I hope I got my point across, if not I will try to explain better of what I mean.

Here is a video of Source 2 and what Im talking about. See how every extruded face automatically becomes unwrapped? That is what Im asking for in 3ds max.

https://a.pomf.cat/lixnsi.webm

wallworm

Well I am going to ask for this directly to the Max devs as it is something I think is important with epoly editing.

But until it's here, you can already accomplish this for the most part.

• Make an editable Poly
  • Add a Vol. Select Modifer
  • Add a Map Scaler modifer
  • Go back to baseobject (epoly)
  • In modify stack, turn on Show End Results
  • Start Extruding, editing

Now there are limitations but it's generally what is wanted.

wallworm

Shirk

Thank you! This is nearly exactly what is needed, it will make editing and iteration much quicker now (as a lot of the time I work based off of textures).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk