Having trouble exporting

Started by Zeldaboy14, January 25, 2017, 04:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeldaboy14

So, I'm new to using wall worm, and the 3ds max scene, and I'm having issues with exporting my map from 3DS max to Hammer. VBSP keeps crashing upon compiling, and the .vmf file is only 1 KB. The map I'm trying to export comes from a N64 game, Banjo Tooie. Here's what the .txt says upon finished:

VBSP END Time : Wed 01/25/2017 14:56:56.17 
Valve Software - vvis.exe (Dec  9 2014)
fastvis = true
8 threads
reading c:\users\james\documents\wallworm\test.bsp
Error opening c:\users\james\documents\wallworm\test.bsp
Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Dec  9 2014)

Valve Radiosity Simulator     
8 threads
[Reading texlights from 'lights.rad']
[45 texlights parsed from 'lights.rad']

Loading c:\users\james\documents\wallworm\test.bsp
Error opening c:\users\james\documents\wallworm\test.bsp

wallworm

My suspect is that there are no brushes or the world isn't sealed. Only objects tagged as brushes will export as brushes. See Brush Geometry.

Zeldaboy14

I've already followed those steps. I just have no clue to why it doesn't wanna export correctly. I included the exported obj file, incase you wanna look at it for helping purposes.

wallworm

I've updated the docs linked above.

The bottom line is this: you must learn what a brush is inside Source. The geometry you posted is not valid. It cannot export as a brush because it is not a proper brush geometry. Instead, you'll have to export it as a model, not a level.

Zeldaboy14

I've tried that before with with no luck either. I can get as far as exporting it, but upon trying to walk on the model in game, it's like the whole physics are creating a non walking layer inside the model

wallworm

I'm afraid that there is no way getting around it, but you are going to need to learn about either creating concave collision hulls (for a model) or making valid brush geometry. There are tools to help in both, but there are specific rules to what is valid as a concave hull and as what is valid as a brush. Again, I updated the docs above to explain what you are required to have as a valid brush; see Collision Hulls.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk