weirdly colored model [source]

Started by meatball, January 31, 2017, 06:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meatball

hi there, meatball here

recently imported a vmf containing a series of displacement brushes, marked it with WWMT helper and exported as a model for csgo

it's all new to me, not really sure what im doing?

additionally the material comes out discolored when imported

if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be awesome

wallworm

Very likely, this issue is coming down to the imported gamma of a VTF not staying the same as the gamma of the exported VTF. This probably occurs because when WW pulls a VTF from the game's VPK, it converts it to a TGA... and that TGA is re-exported into a VTF if the target path of the VTF isn't the same as the original.

Here is what I would do so that WW will not re-export the VTF and just use the original from the game:

Method 1: Set Bitmap Path

• Open the Material Editor
  • Use the Pick Material button in the material Editor and pick the original displacement or brushes (which will create a material node in the editor)
  • Double-click the bitmap node going into the material's diffuse slot
  • Take note of the path of the node's name (it will be something like concrete/concrete0001a.vtf)
  • Repeat above on the material of the Model you made
  • Make sure the path matches (and is not something like Map #1/concrete0001a.vtf
  • Re-export the Material

If this doesn't help, please post the Original brush's VMT along with the VMT WW made for this model.

wallworm

I misread above and as such revised the fix based on what I think is happening.

meatball

this came together really quickly after watching some of the tutorials

thanks for explaining selections in the material editior i was placing tgas in subfolders or something

do i always have to convert imported brushes/scene into a model or is that for the sake of cleanliness?

wallworm

Great Job.

In terms of importing/exporting. There are no rules. You can keep anything as a brush that you want to. WW does have a VMF exporter and brush/entity support. So what you convert to a brush is simply dependent on what you are trying to accomplish. Converting brushes to models is often done if you've run out of allowed brush sides, texture coordinates, etc because of hitting BSP limits.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk