Collision model help

Started by plantonly, February 06, 2017, 01:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plantonly

I need help please. After using wallworm several times, I'm intermittently having difficulty with the collision model not working (please see attached). I'm choosing concave and all the other suggested settings, but something has to be off. I've tried auto hulls, custom hulls, hull helper etc etc. Using max 2016 and latest version of wall worm. Is it hit and miss or should i be splitting up this door frame example into three separate models? Sometimes it works magically (with the exact same steps/settings), so it's very frustrating when it doesn't for hours and hours on end.

wallworm

Did you use the "Process Hull" button in WWMT UI before exporting? It will apply the necessary smoothing groups for a concave hull. In Source, concave hulls must be properly smooth.

If the hull was derived from another source (like an imported MDL or from Maya, etc) then you need to export with the normal method set to Explicit Normals also.

plantonly

Thanks for getting back to me! Yeah, definitely chose the process CM.

I've tried a lot of things but no idea what else to do...is there a way to compile the QC file for CSGO models just to see if it's some bug? Those old programs I had are so ancient and the latest ones haven't been updated in several years.

Wall worm definitely has the CM selected/associated with the model, so I'm baffled as to why it's not working. I've made about 50ish versions now with various options selected (or not), just to see if there's anything I could be doing wrong--does it have to be a sub model, or even should the collision model be broken into pieces (top, sides etc.)?

From all the tutorials I've watched, it seems like such a simple process, but for me something is stopping it from working. Perhaps there's some precise order in which you have to select the various options before compiling with a CM? Like for example, I often get an error with exporting materials if I don't do it before other operations.

Thank you again for your continued help!!!

plantonly

**Update**

So it seems like the 'quick hull' option is working right off the bat, but has a really odd structure, with around 70 polygons (layered on top of one another for no reason whatsoever), for what should be a very simple CM (should normally only be about 10). I just wish I could get the 'prepare from selection' working, which makes it so much easier to delete a handful of polygons to make a very simple CM. This is driving me crazy! :(

I'm wondering if I strip this down and get it working, perhaps the material (done from an unwrap uvw) transferred from the original model is causing the chaos (though I combined it into the editable poly mod)?

wallworm

I'm sorry you are having issues. I've tried to document everything with several articles on the docs site along with videos. Making hulls is fairly simple and straightforward.

In terms of Quick Hull, it will makes one convex hull per Element of each object in the model. To make the hull less complex, reduce the Max Verts Hulls spinner above the Quick Hull button (before pressing the quick hull). For a simple frame, you could reduce that to the number 8.

I'd read these documents:

Also here are some educational videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpGmKvYZkbE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJFGdehrUgE

plantonly

Ah, thanks so much! I got this error when I tried reducing the count down. Going to go back to watching all the videos again. I'll definitely let you know my findings. Thanks again!

plantonly

Does using the import vmf option cause issues when trying to later use the 'prepare from selection' CM option? If must be that, or having a  unwrap uvw mod previously applied that is causing the issue. As the quick hull and creating a hull from scratch are working just fine, it's just when copying the existing model to use a hull that is the problem...if you think it could be related to any of these issues (importing vmf as a model/uvw material mod), is there a way to cleanse the model/object before trying to prepare from selection? It would make life SO much easier! I tried the Explicit Normals option and that didn't work either.

wallworm

Add me to Sykpe and I will try to help you later on when I'm back in front of the computer. My skype name is wallworm .

plantonly

Thank you so much! That would be awesome!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk