Bodygroups' origin rotation issue

Started by Klizmotron, March 22, 2017, 07:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klizmotron

Hello, WallWorm. The reason why I created this thread is because every time I'm dealing with bodygroups in WallWorm, I experience this naughty bug. When I create some simple model without a need of having skeleton (a model which doesn't have any bones) but has bodygroups, even though model's and it's bodygroups' origins are all aligned to the same angles, they compile with difference of 90 degrees by Z axis. I tried tweaking origin settings in WWMT menu, but it doesn't seem to help in any way. If I check "Rotate origin" checkbox, it rotates the origin of both root model and the bodygroups, so in any case they have a difference of 90 degrees by Z axis. It's easy to notice that the bug is related to not applying correct origin settings to model's bodygroups, if you check what the bones of the root model and it's bodyparts look like in HLMV, where the axes are facing. Previously I always just created a root bone and applied skin modifier to the root model and all bodyparts, it helped to align everything with no problems, but it takes time and just isn't always handy, I don't want to have unnecessary skin modifier if I don't need it. I hope there is just something I'm doing wrong, otherwise it is really an annoying bug that needs to be fixed. Here are some illustrations of what I mean, I hope it helps to understand. Thanks.

The layout of origins of the root and bodygroups models in Max:

HLMV view, option 1: "Rotate origin" is unchecked. You can see how the bodygroup is rotated by seeing it in the wrong place and it's origin misaligning with root's origin:

HLMV view, option 2: "Rotate origin" is checked. The same situation, but the whole thing is rotated by 90 degrees.

Changing any other origin parameters didn't make any relevant difference. I hope you can fix this behaviour.
I am using 3ds Max 2016 and the lastest version of WallWorm Pro.

wallworm

This isn't a bug in WW. It's just how the compiler deals with the model parts when compiling.

The bodygroup models need to be linked to the hierarchy correctly. You have several options. Skin is one of them.

The easiest solution is to select the Bodygroup helper, go to the modify tab and click "Send Parent Bones to All." This will add the bones used in the main model to each bodygroup's WWMT helper. Then link the submodels to the main model with the select and link tool. Now the compiler will put the submodel pieces in the correct orientations and follow parent bone movements.

Hopefully this helps.

A couple tips: for these models, don't use the rotate origin command (which is mainly for static prop models); also, make sure that the WWMT helper for each pieces also does not have rotate origin, staticprop, etc.

Klizmotron

Thanks a lot, that seems to be a solution for my problem. That is interesting how this behaviour is present in studiomdl though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk