WallWorm - Unknown System Exception when importing .smd

Started by Nightmaree, March 31, 2017, 04:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightmaree

Hey there,

First off, thanks for making this. I've used it before and worked flawlessly however since I've reinstalled, that sadly isn't the case! I'm now having an unknown system exception whilst importing an .smd file, which I can send to any interested party on request. 3DS points me to line 141 in Mario_Kart_SMD_Importer.ms every time I try to import this file.

You can see the options I'm using for the importer, the error displayed, and the script that gets brought up here.

I'm using 3DS Max 2016 with Service Pack 4 installed, however this also happened in 3DS Max 2017.

I'd appreciate any help with this!

wallworm

That probably means that the SMD doesn't have \r\n line endings. That crashes the MAXScript file reading functions. Unfortunately, SMD files created by older versions of WW only had \n line endings. Also, some archiving/versioning tools will convert line endings which can also cause this error. So you may need to edit the file in a text editor and convert all line endings to \r\n . Many text editors have tools to change line endings.

Nightmaree

Thanks for the response!

As you mentioned the .smd file I decided to open up in a text editor and turns out something went wrong saving the file! So I was going to import the HL2 models to take their bone structure to animate with, but apparently that causes ANOTHER system runtime error!

This time it's line 1442 in wwmt.mcr

Do keep in mind all I'm doing is trying to open the interface to import - I haven't even got it to show me the interface just yet sadly.

wallworm

So is this second error when importing an SMD too? Line 1442 of wwmt.mcr relates to the MDL importer, not SMD importer (at least in the very latest version of WW).

Can you share:

• What Version of 3ds Max and if it has latest service packs
  • What operating system
  • Are you using WW or WW Pro
  • What version # of WW/WW pro

Nightmaree

Yes, this is an MDL I'm trying to import now. I'm running 3DS Max 2016 with SP4 on Windows 10 x64, with the free version of WW, v3.084

wallworm

Can you take a screen shot of you Global Setting > Paths tab? Click Wall Worm > Wall Worm Settings and post your settings.

wallworm

OK, so those settings look OK.

Next test is to test another game. Click Import Game Config at right side of settings window and browse to Counter-Strike: Source/cstrike/bin/gameconfig.txt . After loaded into the settings as a new preset, select it in the preset window and click Load Preset. After loaded, see if you can use that function.

Nightmaree

I can't seem to find the GameConfig.txt file your referencing in that location.

wallworm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk