WallWorm SMD export problems

Started by Mr.Curious, April 22, 2017, 03:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Curious

I am currently working on a project that requires that I export all obj files at 0.01 scale and Flip YZ Axis (poser Like) enabled.
It seems when I use the Wallworm SMD exporter that the position & scale of my exported models never work out. I have actually never even been able to see an SMD I have exported from WW because the scale or position issues. Its either too big (or too small) to be seen in another viewer, or perhaps its position is so far off I cant see it, either way I have no way of surmising which one of these it could be.

I have attached a link to a video that demonstrates the simple process of exporting an obj file at 0.01 scale from 3DS Max, then importing that obj file into Milkshape3D, then attempting to import an SMD file with the same reference to the the same Milkshape3D project. The result is the imported SMD is nowhere to eb seen. I then attempt to scale the model in 3DS Max before exporting to SMD, and again import newly scaled SMD into said Milkshape3D project with similar results. The video shows that the scale is totally off, making the imported SMD impossible to locate.
Also there is strange formatting on this forum so there's a GIANT gap until the next part of my post. See below.

VIDEO LINK:
(it seems i cant post working video links here or I just cant see hte video?!)  :'(

https: // youtu.be/ exqDpK40fPM

Thank you for your time.

I am using 3DS Max 2017 on WIndows & 64 bit.

wallworm

I watched video and see your issue.

Without the actual scene, it's really hard for me to guess exactly what is amiss.

Here are things I'd make sure:

1) Make sure your Max Scene Units are set to Generic where 1 Unit = 1 Inche
2) If above doesn't help: Select all objects, set to scale you want, and then click Reset XForm in Max (Utilities Rollout of Command Panel). Then re-export.

wallworm

I'm sorry about the problems you are facing.

In terms of the Axis issue, I will try to look at it. I've only ever tested Y axis on limited cases of props provided by clients who needed to import SMD/QC combinations that had originally been exported from Maya. I have gotten those to work in the limited tests I have done. The Y axis in the exporter simply rotates the world coordinates while exporting by 90 degrees in X axis. However, that may only work if the Local Origin is turned on... which I will investigate.

I will look into it but cannot give a time frame. The Y-Up accounts for 0% of my work and the WW community at large doesn't utilize it, so it probably won't be a high priority. In all the years of doing Source work, I've only needed to account for it in two models (which were provided by clients).

Anyway, I don't want you to think I am ignoring you, but I want to be clear that I may not have time to address this in short order. I have other priorities at the moment, so it will have to wait until those are out of the way.

Mr.Curious

I give up nothing works. I have spent 5 hours trying every single option in the WallWorm SMD exporter.

This pluggin needs a scaling option because if i scale before exporting the SMD the coordinates stop working.

When i scale to 1% and export with native 3DS max OBJ exporter everything is fine.

wallworm

I have looked at this issue and think I will have a solution for you soon.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk