Multiple Texture Sheets to 1 Model?

Started by jjunkers87, March 02, 2012, 10:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjunkers87

Hello,

I have been downloading numerous mods and have been looking at their work in the model/material folders to see how they structured them.  I have seen for example, trees, bushes and shrubs have 2 or 3 texture sheets.  I was assuming you could only have one, but apparently you can have more?  How would I go about applying multiple texture sheets to one model?? 

I downloaded this free tree pack here > http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/506851 < and the models/textures are very awesome, but the bark and leaves are on two different sheets.  Can you guys give any suggestion as to how to use them??

Thanks!

Sb44

wallworm

It's fairly straightforward. All you need to do is have multiple materials applied to the model. As long as the materials are valid materials that WW can export, it will work.

When the model is a single mesh, multiple materials are applied using the Mult/Sub-Object Material. Simply look in the Max docs for that Material and you should get an idea on how to apply/control it. That should get you on your way.

jjunkers87

That totally worked, thank you.

However, a have a problem with the object not being solid now.  Any ideas??

I added the collision, clicked static prop, checked auto hull.. hmmmmm

This plug-in is awesome, I can't thank you enough for it. 

wallworm

Quote from: jjunkers87 on March 02, 2012, 11:53:06 PM
However, a have a problem with the object not being solid now.  Any ideas??

I added the collision, clicked static prop, checked auto hull.. hmmmmm

Did you solve this problem yet? I'm really not sure without seeing the file to know what's amiss.

Quote from: jjunkers87 on March 02, 2012, 11:53:06 PM
This plug-in is awesome, I can't thank you enough for it.
I agree... :) But then again... I'm biased...

kinggambit

sorry for the really late bump. I've had some success with multiple textures in individual models (didn't even have to use multi/sub).

However, when it comes to multi/sub textured objects, I'm a bit confused on how the surface properties work (i.e. a metal doorframe with glass window). I'd apply the multi sub to my entire door, follow the steps, build my collision model, then export. I'd edit the VMT's accordingly for the surface properties but the entire CM reacts as if it is all metal.

I've noticed that vehicle props made by Valve dev's will have their glass windows as separate props. Is this the correct workaround?

wallworm

To get the VMTs to control the surfaceprop, you need to have the QC use no $surfaceprop. So in WWMT, remove the WWMT surface property. Then it will use the materials.

You can even control this in the Max material editor now if you use the WW Materials under the Wall Worm > Wall Worm Materials menu. You can add these properties to a model's material when you have it selected or also with a menu for the mat editor's selected material .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk