CSGO (2017 state) Model Export incorrect

Started by thebugerror, August 02, 2017, 11:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebugerror

Hello.

I have a problem compiling exported SMD reference model created by Wall Worm v3.222 in 3DS MAX 2017. On just a simple IMPORT EXPORT test.

The SMD reference file that was exported by Wall Worm is different from decompiled SMD reference file by crowbar software and is not possible to compile it back to MDL file even on a simple IMPORT EXPORT test made.

Here is why:

When I looked into the exported SMD reference file exporeted by Wall Worm I noticed that the TRIANGLE model groups are always linked to a NODE zero. Also I got one aditional unwanted NODE exported too "0 "ctm_sas_reference001" -1". Also NODE order was changed.

When I looked into the decompiled SMD reference file decompiled by crowbar then everything was fine linked to correct NODEs.

See more in attachement

wallworm

The WW export is working as expected based on the data being exported (scene). If the importer isn't organizing the scene identically to the imported SMD (the extra node) then there isn't much I can do at this moment to change this. The functional bone hierarchy should remain intact and not affect recompiling (I've worked with people doing this many times including with our animators at Black Mesa when source files were made pre-Wall Worm but being extended post-WW).

The extra bone gets thrown out by the compiler and the named bones that are used are all that matter. One simple option to not just rely on compiler is to use $collapsebone BONENAME in your QC if you want to be sure that a bone is removed.

I suspect that, if re-exporting via the WW tools, your WWMT Helper is setting the node to $staticprop. When that flag is on, the exporter only uses one bone and assigns all verts to it. Turn off staticprop if that is the problem of the verts being linked to bone 0 always.

The SMD importer will not likely see new updates because there is now an MDL loader in WW that will soon get animation support... making the entire step of importing SMDs no longer necessary.

thebugerror

Well... then can you help me how to properly export a model to make it functional in CSGO? Just decompiling an already functional CSGO Player model and recompiling it back..,

Because I tried other method than using Export thru select menu to exporting the model via "Export QC+Model" by 3DS max Wall Worm tool and that leads me to some error with line 13...

Joris Ceoen

Decompiling a player model is always very risky, and due to the complexity of said models there are always problems in the strings when decompiling. Very often manual reconstruction of certain lines within the .QC are required... I don't expect any SMD exporter to just straight away export a decompiled player model without any errors.

thebugerror

Well but problem is that there were no modifications made on the model just plain in and out.

Its like you step into a teleporter and your whole body messes up XD

wallworm

I don't have time for a direct answer for a passthrough (import and re-export) of complex models. As Joris noted, it won't be a straight process in that regard because there are still some things the QC importer does not know how to handle so just dumps them into a QCI file. So if you import a QC you should always open the QCI button in WWMT to check what settings were pulled in and edit accordingly.

One more thing I thought about over night was another reason all the verts use node 0: the QC/SMD importer have an option for Single Mesh. This will combine all the mesh nodes into a single node. This is another reason you might have all verts bound to node 0. But that isn't a concern because all the verts will still be weighted to the bones they need weighted to. But if that is a concern, you can turn that option off. I always keep it on, personally. But I also mainly create content from scratch, so rarely mess with the QC/SMD importers except were needed by work.

thebugerror

Hmh it is funny... when I used some Addon in blender to import and export source models then the exported reference had also vertexes using node 0.

But interesting thing was that with this exported file I was able to compile the model to make it fully working in CSGO...
And with Wall Worm exported file I was getting some strange error with line 13.

If you want to check what was different then the Addon for blender is called: Blender Source Plugin

wallworm

The WW version will work fine.

Provide more details. How are you importing the asset into Max? Via QC import or via SMD import? If it is a QC, then you need to open the QCI file and see if that has a problem. If not, then look at line 13 of either the SMD or the QC and see what is on that specific line. This will give you a hint as to the problem.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk