Can't load Scene

Started by jammarman, November 06, 2017, 12:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jammarman

Everything was working last night, I load up 3ds max today and if i try to open my scene I get "File Open Error    Error loading paramblock2"
after that I get "Invalid File-only partially loaded" and then it tells me it failed to load the scene. I get this same error with the 3 autobackups of the file as well as a previous version of the scene.

F11 is also empty when this happens

wallworm

That's not good!

I've seen that happen once before and I think that my solution is to create a new scene then click File > Import > Merge then merge all your objects from that scene.

Can you explain what you were doing last? Did you happen to get any errors while working before the file was saved in this state?

wallworm

If that doesn't work, then I would try this:

• Click Wall Worm > Wall Worm Utilities > Check for Problems
  • Check the Default Displacement Material and VMT Imports library checkboxes and then click Delete Selected Files.
  • Try opening original scene again

jammarman

So merging appears to have worked, I can at least see my scene now but after moving the camera around everything is invisible, and I forgot that happened once before I started having these issues. At that time I just restarted my game and pc which fixed it.
I can still see things but only if wireframe is on.
Those two options in "check for problems" are greyed out.

jammarman

If I export from the merged scene none of the displacements export and my map has about 2000 displacements :/

jammarman

Ok It all mostly exports from the new scene after restarting 3ds max, I'm using Directx 9 instead of 11 and I can see everything except for the displacement materials which are white

wallworm

OK. The DX shaders WW uses are DX 11 format by default. To change to a classic shader (for future material imports) go to global WW settings > Materials and switch the displacement shader to Native. It will use the native blending shader in Max. I don't think I currently have a function to convert the DX11 materials to use the DX9 shader, unfortunately.

Are the displacements still not exporting into the game?

jammarman

The displacements are working, Thanks for all the help.

jammarman

It's happened about 4 more times, each time I merge and re ad all the entities and restart so it detected displacements which mostly works fine, it also happened once in a new map I started.
I installed Vray a little while back, not sure if that maybe had any influence.

jammarman

Interestingly it happened in a scene where the only wall-worm object was the map limits.

wallworm

I will try to get to the bottom of this. Can you do this: Click File > Save As ... Archive and send me a link to download the zip file it creates?

jammarman

wallworm

I finally got around to testing your scene. I could not find anything odd in it. (BTW, cool road system you've got going there.)

I wonder if there is some set of steps you have taken that make the problem more likely to manifest? What are you generally doing when this happens? Is there a MAXScript error or anything like that preceding this problem?

I have not been able to replicate any similar issue.

jammarman

And now my 3ds max will not even launch, I think it's safe to say the issue is unrelated to wallworm, same goes for the alpha not working. I guess I'll reinstall windows and everything.

wallworm

before you uninstall... try this!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk