Some displacements don't export

Started by jammarman, November 10, 2017, 06:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jammarman

This is a separate issue to my last one so I thought I'd make a new thread in case anybody else has this problem.

Occasionally one or two displacements just stop exporting with the map, check for problems shows nothing wrong,
I think it has something to do with me clicking, dragging or shift dragging the displacements by accident but I'm not really sure.

wallworm

I will add some checks for corrupt displacements soon. Generally speaking, it's not a good idea to copy displacements unless you understand how they work. The main thing is this: each displacement is composed of 2 or 3 objects. 1: The Displacement; 2) The "Displacement Brush"; 3) Optionally an actual Brush. Confusingly, the "Displacement Brush" is not a brush at all, but a representation of the side of a brush tessellated to an in-displaced displacement--which is because before mid 2015 displacements in WW were never actually tied to real brushes but only "virtual" brushes. At this point, I recommend using actual brushes to create a displacement--but then keep in mind that the so-called "Displacement Brush" is still a necessary component of a displacement.

Whew.... and now to some caveats....

A Displacement simply won't export if it doesn't have a Displacement Brush. When you shift-drag a displacement and copy it, WW should normally also create the virtual Displacement Brush. But if that fails, or if the Displacement Brush is deleted, the displacement won't work. So I suspect the Displacement Brush is missing. There may be a function in WW to recreate one, but I don't know it off the top of my head.

If this isn't the situation, then I'd need a sample seen to figure out what went wrong.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk