Quick Hull and Hull Helper broken in latest versions of PhysX

Started by wallworm, April 13, 2012, 01:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallworm

The latest version of the PhysX functions (PhysX 2.71+) in all versions of Max and the MassFX in Max 2013 have changed... and at the moment the Quick Hull functions won't work if you are using those versions. I'm looking into addressing it but I think it will take an update on nVidia's/Autodesk's part.

wallworm

In Max 2012... I can still get the Quick Hull function to work by uninstalling PhysX Plugin for 3ds Max 2.71 . I had installed that because the latest Rayfire uses some features of that version. Unfortunately, I cannot find a way to use that version of PhysX in 2012 and use the Quick Hull in WW--nor in a vanilla install of Max 2013.

If you are having problems, please share the version of Max along with the PhysX / MassFX versions you have.

wallworm

I am now giving up on finding a solution. I can still personally use the Convexity Hull Wrapper which I've been allowed to test for many months... so for me it isn't a huge dilemma. But that tool isn't public yet... so most WW users are depending on the Quick Hull functions using PhysX.

Autodesk and/or nVidia need to fix this, really. And here is how you can help:

In Max, open the MAXScript > MAXScript Editor and paste this code into a new MAXScript file:

/*Make a teapot*/
tp = TeaPot()

/*convert teapot to mesh to pass into PhysX function*/
ConvertToMesh tp

/*Create an empty Editable_mesh to store the new hull*/

newnode = Editable_mesh()

newnode.mesh = nvpx.CreateConvexHull tp 44 0 --Exception happens here!

update newnode

Execute the code (CTR+E)

If the code fails (by showing red text in the MAXScript listener [F11])... then your version of MassFX/PhysX is broken. You can help by then Submitting a Defect Report and explaining these steps.

Hopefully, there will be a hotfix soon to address this in Max 2013. Until then, stick with Max 2012 if you need the WW Quick Hull and Hull Helper functions.

wallworm

In the latest version of WWMT, the quick hull will work with Max 2013. It is only PhysX 2.71 that is still having the problem.

[EDIT] Still fails in Max 2013 at times.

wallworm

I installed the latest PhysX Plugin 2.85 for 3ds Max 2013 today and found that the bug in the Quick Hull function has been fixed. So you can use this now if you get the latest version of PhysX. Unfortunately, when I logged in to the nVidia PhysX developer site today... I could not find the download.

Please do not ask me for a copy as I am not going to distribute the software. But feel free to login to the nVidia site and request the file.

PS. If you are using Rayfire on Max 2012, the latest Rayfire also uses PhysX 2.85 so you should get that version of PhysX for 2012 as well is ufing RF and WW in 2012.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk