ver1.77 win7 64bit 3dsmax2010 . Bones offset after export

Started by TomeC, March 22, 2012, 11:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomeC

Hi, I'm trying to export  simple model animated with bones and skin modifier NOT in (0,0,0) world position .  After export Source move all my bones in (0,0,0) position. In result model is animated differently.  I've tried switching Use Local Origin as World Origin ...no luck .

Does anyone knows solution for this or it is a bug? Thanks in advance .

EDIT:  After some tests problem seems to be slightly different.    Mesh of the model skinned with bones in world position (x,y,z)  after export goes (2x,2y,2z) ...  bones stay in correct position its just the mesh offset twice the distance.

I've found way around:  I copy values from sequence .smd,   move whole model into (0,0,0) , export, than past previous values into new sequence.smd and compile the model.
_
_

wallworm

Thanks for reposting your find. I am looking at your file now to see what might be amiss.

wallworm

wallworm

Fixing this is going to require an update to the SMD Exporter. I will add a fix into the WWMT SMD Exporter soon... and provide the fix to Wunderboy and Cannonfodder so they can update their exporters to accomodate this too if they want.

TomeC

Thank you for your reaction.   So far, after skinnig I move just the mesh into (0,0,0) and after export whole model is where it supposed to be.  Waiting for a fix in the Tools though ....Thanks !!

wallworm

I've been distracted with a family illness... but I think I will have an update for this by next weekend. I can't promise but that is my goal.

PS. The thread state's version 1.77 . There is one version after that (1.771) that has a few updates (none that will fix the issue in this thread... but some that might be worth getting. If you do, make sure to read the changelog).

TomeC

I have had 1.771  just forgot . It was found on 1.771 sorry.

wallworm

So I spent some time on this today... and I've discovered that it's a little more complex than I originally anticipated. I am going to have to give it some more thought before I will be able to solve this... It's a problem with determining the correct location of bones and when using the $origin command.... and is possibly going to be a little more of a rewrite than I was hoping.

One way or the other, I'll figure out some kind of solution.

wallworm

The easiest way I've discovered to deal with this has come to me making a new function coming to the next version of Wall Worm... and will only really be useful in the context of exporting a VMF from Wall Worm.

The next update will have a new Proxy Tools floater that has several buttons. One of those buttons is labeled Exclude... you can apply that to a WWMT helper and it will not export with the VMF... but its proxies will export. So the method of working with animated props will essentially work like this:

1) Design prop at location.
2) When prop is done, create a Proxy of the prop.
3) Align that proxy to the original model (so the pivot point of the proxy aligns to the main mesh's pivot point).
4) Move the original mesh to [0,0,0] (remembering to move bones accordingly).
5) With the new proxy tools floater, exclude this WWMT from the VMF export.
6) For this model, turn off Use Local Origin as World Origin.

At this point, the model's proxies will export at their locations but the one at [0,0,0] will be ignored.

I may be able to automate the moving of the model to [0,0,0] but since it might be part of hierarchies that I can't predict... automating that could lead to problems.

When moving models to the world origin, it may be ideal to put that model in it's own layer so you can easily hide it.

I wish I could have discovered a better solution... but as it stands this is the only thing that I can work out to alleviate this scenario's problem.

If you would like to test this before I release it, feel free to contact me.

wallworm

I have released an update with some new tools. You should be able to address your problem by reading this page: http://dev.wallworm.com/topic/56/wwmt_proxy_tools.html

Please test the procedure and let me know how it works for you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk