Error Loading Model

Started by wallworm, March 02, 2011, 10:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallworm

This isn't really a WWMT error... but it is worth noting here. I was testing WWMT across two different computers and kept finding that a model would work fine on computer but not the next. The second computer would compile... but when I tried to load the model in Half-Life Model Viewer, I kept getting this error:

Error Loading Model

It turns out that this happened because Steam had done an update and reset my Source SDK Engine to Source 2006... which is not the target engine my model was compiled for (Source 2009).

So when you get this error, restart Source SDK and make sure that SDK is set to the right engine. See if the model will load in HLMV now. If not, recompile the model and then try viewing it.

wallworm

I found another way to create this problem. If you export a model where all the meshes are non-renderable (right click, go to properties and then uncheck the renderable option)... you can get an empty SMD that will cause this to happen.

This pertains to the Wunderboy SMD Exporter and the WWMT SMD exporter and you have the option "Export Non-Renderable as Bone" setting in the WW settings floater.

In WWMT 1.773+ the exporter will check that at least one mesh is renderable when you export and will stop the export process if this is the case. Updating to 1.773+ will fix such cases.

You can also uncheck the option to Export Non-Renderable Mesh as Bone... Or you can make your mesh Renderable.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk