Problem exporting a texture

Started by McFlyGold, July 13, 2012, 06:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallworm

So here is what I did to get models and textures into SFM:

• Create the correct SDK Content Folder. This folder is not automatically created by SFM, so you have to make it. Create this folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SourceFilmmaker\content
  • Inside the content folder, make a folder that is named the same as your mod. By default that will be usermod: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SourceFilmmaker\content\usermod
  • Inside the usermod folder, create these folders: mapsrc, materialsrc and modelsrc
  • In Wall Worm, go to the Settings rollout and create a new Preset for SFM.
  • Set the correct Bin Dir to this path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SourceFilmmaker\game\bin
  • Set the Map, Model and Material paths to the ones you created above. You can do these all at once by clicking the button in the WW Settings floater labeled sdk_content and browse to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SourceFilmmaker\content\usermod . Or set each of those settings individually.
  • Set the Game Info Dir to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SourceFilmmaker\game\usermod
  • Now export

Incidentally, I found a bug in WW tonight. I may load a patch tonight or tomorrow. If you get a message in the MAXScript console that says

"-- No "">"" function for undefined"
Then you are problably having this bug.

NOTE ABOUT SFM:

I discovered that SFM does not honor the $origin command. As such, you cannot use the Use Local Origin as Origin option in WW when exporting directly into SFM for static props. I may find a workaround in the future.

wallworm

Oops... I missed a step... about to add/edit to the list to set the gameinfo dir to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SourceFilmmaker\game\usermod

McFlyGold

Quote from: wallworm on July 16, 2012, 11:02:56 PM
I discovered that SFM does not honor the $origin command. As such, you cannot use the Use Local Origin as Origin option in WW when exporting directly into SFM for static props. I may find a workaround in the future.

First of all, Thanks so much for helping me on this issue! I finally got a model exported directly from 3DS Max without the need for running external programs on my own.

Now you mentioned something about $origin not being supported and I'm guessing this has something to do with the central pivot point of the model being exported. Well while listening to a tutorial online about SFM, he mentions that SFM is using an older version of TF2 than the version that everyone is playing. So since it's older, certain things from the current TF2 are not completely compatable with SFM's version of TF2. That may be why $origin doesn't work in SFM. I'm also guessing this is the reason the model I've imported doesn't have a centered pivot point. (a minor nuisance)

Thanks again for your help.

Now I'm off to try and learn me some new things about SFM.  ;D

wallworm

I am addressing the $origin issue in an update today or tomorrow. It will fix offset models in SMF and CS:GO.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk