Same Model, Different Orientation When Compiled

Started by azai, October 27, 2012, 01:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azai

Hello. First of all I would like to thank you for these amazing tools, they really speed things up. Thanks to these tools I have managed to put together one of the largest model packs ever released for Garrys Mod. Almost 2000 models already.

So I haven't updated the tools for a few months. I think the last update I installed was in July, and this problem occurred, I figured it was just a bug, but it was one that really messed with my project, so I reverted to the version I had before (not sure which version, is there a way to check?). The problem is, after updating,  the orientations are set up differently, even the same models compile differently. If I build the models in such a way that they compile the same as before, it seems to mess with the way lighting affects them in-game.

Showing how they compile differently, both of these are angled as 0,0,0 in-game:

Showing how lighting effects them differently if I build the models to match the old orientation. Old("correct") is on the left.

I just want to know the reasoning behind this change? Is there an easy way I can fix it? I would love to update the tools, as I am sure I am missing out on some new functionality, but if that means tweaking every model individually it really isn't worth the hassle, and I'll just use my old version.

wallworm

I don't have the answer at this very second... but here are some ideas.

Try applying an XForm modifier to your original model then re-export. See if it comes out correctly this time.

Also, you might try turning on/off the Use Local Origin as World Origin which could also play a role.

For the lighting, if those changes don't fix it, use the Lighting Origin function in WWMT.

Also, just to clarify... is this WW 1.875?

wallworm

And an added note... to answer your question... the reason behind some changes to the orientations relate to the built-in WWMT SMD Exporter. I made changes so that  when using the WW SMD exporter, WW does not need to use the QC $origin command. I did this because SFM and CS:GO don't properly support that command anymore... but support for that is essential in WW because of the Use Local Origin as World Origin function... and how WW lets you build props in place for a game level.

It just so happens that support for this in the SMD exporter requires that the models have their XForms reset before exporting.

If using an older SMD Exporter (the WUnderboy SMD Exporter, for example) then the QC $origin command is still used... however as of this moment that is not an option in Max 2013 since only WWMT SMD Exporter currently works in Max 2013.

wallworm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk