My Opinion

Started by extrapickles, July 25, 2012, 07:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

extrapickles

Hey guys. I'm new here and just got my first model working in Garry's Mod.

However I've watched almost all the tutorials produced by WallWorm. And here are my thoughts.

Pros:
Very easy to follow. Nice clear instructions make it easy to follow along with almost no errors.

Specific, but not too much so. Good job covering what we need to know, and leaving out useless bunk.

Compact. I like how you cut a lot of loading times out of the videos to make it shorter.

Nice video quality. This is always very nice thing to have while trying to follow a video tutorial, good job!

Completeness: For the most part you go over every aspect of the settings and actions we need to take to complete everything.

Cons:

You advertise that this makes it possible to create models and maps in 3DS Max. While this is "true" you spend a awful lot of time using plugins and tools that are not native to Max. Which means when you happen to name the plugin you are about to use, I have to close everything down to go get it.

Convexity. Almost all of it.
-You said you can make maps in 3DS Max. You really should have said you can make models with Convexity. I spent a lot of time watching tutorials only to be fuddled in tutorial #6 when you introduce this plugin.

-I am 15 years old. I am working very hard at school and my first job. This is my hobby and my extra curricular activity. I'm not very good, but I hope to change that. Creating a tutorial series for 3DS Max should not include a plugin that cost $90.00 for a student license. The only feeling that I have after watching your videos is disappointment that I couldn't follow along because I wasn't born into money. I understand that $90.00 is not a lot of money. Most people make over 20 thousand dollars a year. So it's not steep if you compare it to the average person. But even with my job I have a hard time coming up with this money for just one plugin. I pay my own bills; currently just phone bill and gas money, but still sucks up a lot of my paycheck. Maybe you could supply a free alternate? Or talk to the maker of Convexity to provide a free non-commercial license for students. Even if I have to contact him directly to get a copy.

-Even with the above PRO, in some parts of the video it seems like you have settings already set that you don't cover.

-The videos are outdated. I know you are very busy, but it's been a year since you updated them. Maybe you could contract it out to someone if you don't have time. I would be happy to do an updated tutorial series on it. I love the program and it would help my knowledge of the plugin tremendously.

None of this is supposed to be a personal attack on you, or the creator of Convexity. I absolutely love what you both do for the community. And before I ever save up enough to buy Convexity, I hope that I can donate just a few dollars to you for all your hard work. This is just my personal thoughts on everything that I've seen. Wish me luck with my modeling! After that I need to work on my texturing. You would be horrified if you saw it haha! :)

Thanks,
-Pickles

wallworm

Thanks for the input.

I was just about to head out so don't have time to address all things here. But I wanted to clarify something.

I love Convexity and think all WW users should end up getting it. But the videos are, as you pointed out, out-dated. You do not need Convexity to create maps in 3ds Max for Source. Since those videos were created, I built an internal VMF Exporter into Wall Worm. So in reality you don't need Convexity. (Again, I still recommend it because it has many really cool design tools like the wall side-view editor, entity tools, etc).

In fact, except for Convexity (and a video demonstrating Power Nurbs) I'm pretty certain that most of the WW videos are native Max features/functions.

I do need to update the videos but it really takes a lot of time to do them. Not to mention that I don't get paid for all the effort of this...

I will add some videos on the latest features soon. I may make one or two this weekend... not to mention consider restarting the entire level design series.

PS. Considering you are 15, I have great expectations of you. It's not common for people of your age to form such organized thoughts. Keep it up!

extrapickles

Thank you very much for your response.

I am very glad to hear that Convexity is no longer required to create levels. I do agree that it is useful, and every one should get a copy. But as I've said before, this just isn't a viable option for me at the moment. This really brightens things up for me. Knowing that I can at least export and use basic functions without this plugin. Thank you.

I watched your video with Power Nurbs as well. After doing some research on it (and messing about in Max) I've found that most everything this plugin does is already possible in Max. This is just a convenience factor. And after following along in other 3DS Max tutorials and re-watching some of your videos I've found that, except for Convexcity and Power NURBS, you are correct. I was mistaken in thinking that some of the features you were using were external plugins. Sorry about that. :)

I realize how much time it must take to do a single video. Including filming, editing, and publishing. And I'm sure it takes a substantial amount of time to release a series. So please don't feel like you need to spend large amounts of extra time on this. This is just a hobby for you. Focus on more important things, such as your job and family. I'm sure the entire community will agree that we are happy with whatever time you find spare to work on this.

Thank you for your kind words as well. It's things like that really inspire me to work hard and learn. I really appreciate it!

Thank you very much for your efforts and contributions to modeling for Source,
-Pickles

P.S. Just curious, what do you do outside of this? I would figure some sort of modeling or development considering you have a great aptitude for it, but I could be wrong.

wallworm

Well here you go... a fresh video. It is 98% about brush textures and decals with the latest versions... but also has some other tidbits.

Brush Materials and Decals

There is both a video and a sample 3ds Max scene that goes along with the video. Make sure to read the notes on that page.

And to answer your question, my primary job is web development (mostly server-side programming and database things).

extrapickles

Thanks a bunch! I'll be trying this out very soon! :)

I'm going to go ahead and close this thread so as to no spam this section.

Thanks!

wallworm

Quote from: extrapickles on July 26, 2012, 09:26:55 PM
Thanks a bunch! I'll be trying this out very soon! :)

I'm going to go ahead and close this thread so as to no spam this section.

Thanks!

Don't worry about that on WW. Some forums get upset about those kinds of things... but honestly I think it's all baloney. I know that some forums have people that get all up in arms about when I "spam" about wall worm. But honestly, I embrace enthusiasm.

wallworm

I am curious about your progress. How are you getting along?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk