Models being rotated when exported

Started by crazymonkay, August 01, 2012, 09:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazymonkay

Hey guys,
I'm having an issue when I export models from 3ds Max 2013 into Source, especially animated models. The model looks completely fine in 3ds (Notice how it is facing the front like it should be):

But when I open it in Hammer or the model viewer it looks like this:

Its been rotated in some weird way. At first i thought it was just 90 deg upward so that the front was the top, but looking at the textures it seems to have flipped and rotated in some really weird way (It looks like it has been turned upward and then rotated 90 deg counterclockwise from the top). This completely messes up the way my animation looks. This same sort of thing also happens to static props, except they are only rotated 90 deg clockwise, which is not a huge issue.

wallworm

I have a couple ideas. Before trying any of these, I suggest saving the file with an alternate name so you have a backup in case these steps mess anything up.

1) Is it possible that the XForm of the object is invalid? Apply an XForm to your mesh and see if it changes anything.

2) Try unchecking the Use Local Origin as World Origin option in WWMT. Generally speaking, if you are already building your model at the origin, that function is irrelevant and might possibly have unintended results.

3) Bones are always exported in parent space... except root bones are exported at [0,0,0]. If this is a skinned mesh, then try adding a bone at [0,0,0] and linking your skinned bone as a child of that root bone... but don't add that root bone to your model's skin modifier.

Let me know if any of these options help. If not, you may need to send me the file.

crazymonkay

Unchecking "Use Local Origin as World Origin" fixed both problems! Sometimes its just the simplest things haha. Thanks for your quick response!

wallworm

Just to delve into this a little more... because I am still a little confused about one thing--you said even exporting as a staticprop it was rotated incorrectly? Of course normally staticprops don't have skin/bones, etc... so perhaps that is the issue... but I am a little intrigued about the model setup for future reference. Staticprops should be oriented correctly at all times when using the Local Origin option...

crazymonkay

Yes, when exporting a static model with the local origin option checked. Like my non-static model, it exports correctly when the the local origin option is unchecked. All my models have been fairly simple though, no bones or even collision models because i haven't needed them. Ive only been using 3ds Max for about a week actually.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk