de_sacrilege

Started by wallworm, March 05, 2011, 09:43:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallworm

I've been remaking the most popular CS 1.6 map I made (which, embarassingly, had a misspelled name) called de_sacrelige. This update for Source is properly named de_sacrilege.

Here are a couple screen shots of it in Max. Yes, I'm building the level inside 3ds Max instead of Hammer, thanks to an awesome plugin called Convexity (click the Maple 3d icon at the bottom of every page to learn more about it).

Making this map is what led me to start building the Wall Worm Model Tools. I had previously only finished one Source map (de_tension) that was really just a learning experience for getting used to Source tools. Tension was the first map of mine to have models... and making the models was so tedious that when I got ready to do them for Sacilege... I lost all enthusiasm. As there are dozens of models on my list for this map... it sat and collected dust on my hard-drive for months.

Finally I decided to learn some MAXScript... and voila!

Anyway, it's still not done because everytime I start working on a new model, I now keep saying that I should add this or that new feature to WWMT to make it easier.

It's also because of this that I've started a Sky Texture Exporter called Sky Writer. I should have a public beta of that in a week...

For those interested in Convexity... here is a short review I wrote about it a few months back.

[EDIT] Fast forward to 2014 and Convexity is dead. But if reading for the first time, fret not. Wall Worm now exports VMFs all by itself :)

wallworm

So all my friends with whom I've been playing CS for a decade have been busting my balls about this map. It was a classic back in CS 1.6. I started remaking is for CS:S over two years ago... but never finished it for CS:S. Now we are playing CS:GO and the harassment has only gotten worse.

So I've decided that we will play a beta this week. But every time I sit down to add some textures or make a model... something comes up. Like cats... who for some reason always want to sit on my keyboard, desk, or face.

Meet Gizmo. Stopping me from working... is that sacrilegious?

Meathead

wallworm

Quote from: Meathead on November 11, 2012, 07:54:34 PM
Looking COOL!

It's getting there. Gulli is busy working on foilage props and I am busy working on various world geometry and entities at the moment. It will be really nice when done.

Infidel

I may get flogged heavily for this but....

I think I like the 1.6 and Hidden layouts better. I think this looks fantastic and all but it just doesn't look like sacrilege anymore. Some maps (Militia 1.6 v. Militia source) need updating and changing to make them worthwhile. Other like the dust maps just needed a nice refinishing. I think sacrilege is a map in need of refinishing only. That is just my personal opinion.

True Story.

wallworm

A new screen shot of de_sacrilege . This is in Max viewport.

On the left are broken blocks that are a grouped func_detail I made with Face Breaker. In the center is a new tree I am working on to give the Ts some cover. There are also some new hanging vines, but in-game they are too dark and the textures need edited.

And here is another angle of the new tree with a piece of the front arch model to the left.

Meathead

Looking good :) Good too see your still working on it

wallworm

I spent some time updating sacrilege this last week. Unfortunately, I don't have a compile for this week's WW gaming session... but below are some in-game screen shots. The main changes are a bunch of fixes to the texture alignments on brush faces and the addition of a bunch of foilage covering the broken wall near the T spawn.

In the first shot, the view is looking up at the temple from under the new cover over all the broken wall rubble.

The second shot is outside the broken wall area looking at some of the new foilage with the themple in the background and the T spawn in the left area.

Infidel

Well… time for an update on my end. I played through a full round of de_sacrilege v. 4005638980-B, this morning w/ bots and have a slightly new outlook on the map. My initial response was based off of what I could see in the screen shots which in the long run did very little to offer a good perspective of what the map looks like. Had I seen the overlay that shows up at the beginning of the launch of this level, I would have had a very different idea.

I played from the CT side and not the T (will remedy that tomorrow morning), and therefore I have a one sided view. Seeing the T’s who are shooting at you with extreme prejudice is about as hard as finding proof of Horatio Pump’s claim of manhood. These guys were all but invisible you could see tracer round trails but not them in some of the foliage. I will have to experiment and take notes to verify where these areas of concern are for certain but it seems currently that the T’s have an advantage there in that small regard.

Now, I think that the heavy cover advantage is possibly offset by the fact the CT team starts within spitting distance of the bombsites. They are easy to camp (ask Der or Nightwing, I am sure) and defend. As long as you don’t hang your head out for Vash to say hello with the SSG 3000 (or whatever Valve decided to name it), then you should be fine and have a very good chance of maintaining the high ground.

The map is a bit darker than I think I would like but it also adds to the mysteriousness and fun. It’s not quite dark enough to warrant a bunch of night-vision hooligans running about, but enough to create and maintain some nice shadows.

The layout is just like I remember with a few added paths to create more movement options and to be far less confining. Over all I give it a solid B+ and am only waiting for the final version to be released sometime in early 2049.

The Dingo has spoken, let him hath an ear, hear what the Lippy one speaketh.

wallworm

Quote from: Infidel on March 05, 2013, 01:36:15 PMThe map is a bit darker than I think I would like but it also adds to the mysteriousness and fun. It’s not quite dark enough to warrant a bunch of night-vision hooligans running about, but enough to create and maintain some nice shadows.

That is because I inadvertantly reduced the sunlight in the last compile; it wasn't low enough for me to recompile for that beta but the next version will be back to the previous version's brightness, along with more sounds and hopefully the 2d/3d skies.

wallworm

Well I just compiled this map tonight from 3ds Max 2014. Hell yeah!

Anyway, I've got a few new props (thanks to Gulli and myself) added. I've got some cover to add along the back ramp up and a bunch of props to fill the temple... then the sky... and then this map will finally be done.

I have enjoyed working on this map but I'm really ready to move on to something fresh. If I can keep myself from thinking of new WW ideas, I may be able to finally finish this.

wallworm

Here are a couple new screen shots:

I am getting very close to releasing a public version for testing. There are a bunch of imperfections still... but I'm too burnt out on this map to make everything perfect. The problem continues to be that I started this level at a completely different state of mind regarding Max for level design--my understanding of Max and Source, and the available tools, have changed so much since I started that the level is a mongrel.

Oh well... I will be happy to be done with it and move on to something new soon.

Neil

Amazing... Didn't think graphics of that scale was even possible with Source.

wallworm

Quote from: arao6 on July 18, 2013, 09:50:39 PM
Amazing... Didn't think graphics of that scale was even possible with Source.

Well... this is far from the best that can be done. It could be made much better, but at this point my heart has turned to future levels... so it will have to make due with the few finishing touches I intend.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk