Specular Error

Started by Thefirston, August 20, 2012, 07:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thefirston

I keep receiving this message whenever I have a specular texture in my material and press the "Export VTFs" button.

-- Compile error:control aleady defined: chk2
-- In line: checkbox chk2"

Has anyone else experienced this? I've attached a screenshot for reference.

wallworm

Can you load the latest version of WW and see if the error still occurs?

If it still occurs, please email the Max file to me and I will see what might be amiss.

Thefirston

I think the version I've been using should be most recent. It's version 1.855.

Here's a link to the max and texture files. Just FYI, I'm using 3ds Max 2011.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9676084/TestFiles.rar

Thefirston

Just checked in 32 bit and 64 bit versions of 2011 and 2012 in case, but still getting the same thing.

wallworm

I'm going to test your file shortly. Can you update WW as there is a newer version than what you reported earlier. Version 1.856 is available.

wallworm

I was able to export your file in a couple seconds... no errors. The screen shot is attached.

So it may have been an error in WWMT 1.855 (get 1.856 and see if it fixes it). If you are still having an error, it may be that the WW settings are not set up correctly. Can you share more about your global settings, the settings for your specific model in WWMT, and the steps you are taking?

wallworm

PS. I meant to add a couple things.

1) The file units is set to Millimeters. For Source, you should design in Generic Units where each unit is a centimeter. It will be good to keep that convention.

2) Something I noticed whne I first opened the file is that the textures did not export immediately (the compiler said it couldn't write to the target directory). The warning is not very useful. The real problem was that the bitmaps (TGAs) were not actually copied to the materialsrc directory--because the filename in the Bitmap node still pointed to a path on your system, and not mine (as teh download had all images in folder with Max scene). This is not an error on your part... I'm just pointing it out for reference for anyone reading this and it came to my mind to share this with people. The solution was simply for me to open the bitmap nodes (in Material Editor) and point the filename to the actual location on my system.

Thefirston

I'm still getting the same error.

My settings are pretty much default except for the paths in the tool window. I haven't touched anything else yet.

Here's a screenshot.

wallworm

Thefirston

I've replied to your message and sent you a contact.

wallworm

Error fixed in WWMT 1.858.

PS. While testing the file you sent I realized you will have a problem. To use the Specular Level and a bump in Source you need to merge the specular level into the ALpha of the Normal map. You can use ALpha Spec to do that. After you do it, you need to pipe the normal bitmap into both the bump and the specular level to get the correct output.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk