Models using MultiRes can cause Max to Crash

Started by wallworm, September 06, 2012, 10:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallworm

Over the last two years I have had reports about WW crashing Max under a couple different circumstances from various users. I can now say that I know what a bulk of those cases were, and actually the majority were not actually WW itself after all.

If Max crashes to desktop when exporting a model or group of models, here is a very likely culpret: MultiRes. The MultiRes modifier is a very useful modifier for making LODs and reducing poly count on models, and is one of the two default modifiers that are used by the WW auto LOD generator.

I discovered this week that MultiRes itself will crash if your model isn't really nice and clean. So if you have a crash when exporting models, bear this in mind:

Check your model for problems. The one specific case that I know that will cause a crash is if you apply a MultiRes modifier to a model that has isolated vertices. With 3ds Max 2011+ you can check this by selecting your model and using the xView for Isolated Vertices.

I don't have time to go over it more and cannot promise there aren't other ways to crash MultiRes. But this bug was confirmed by Kelly Michels (Senior 3ds Max QE) and last night I got word from an Autodesk software engineer that the problems will be fixed in the next product update.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk