Sky Writer in CS:GO

Started by wallworm, September 23, 2012, 12:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallworm

I have found that Sky Writer is not working as expected in CS:GO. I discovered this while making a new video on using some of the latest features of Wall Worm that overviews exporting a level with a 3d skybox, 2d sky, models and animated textures.

Anyway, the point here is that to export skies into CS:GO, just export them into CS:Source instead... then copy over the VMT/VTF files for your sky from the cs:s/cstrike/materials/skybox to the cs:go/csgo/materials/skybox folder. That is the solution until I figure out all the compile parameters for exporting straight into CS:GO. I had hoped that it was just as simple as using the -oldcubepath compile parameter like in L4D... but no, it simply isn't working. I also hoped that I could just pass the HDR PFM in a cube-cross format... but even though that seems promising, the sky isn't working in game that way.

Input is appreciated.

I'll hopefully release that video this week.

wallworm

This is no longer true. When exporting for CS:GO, simply uncheck the Sky option in Sky Writer. This will force the VMT to be UnlitGeneric instead of Sky, which is what CSGO wants.

onur89tr

wallworm

Some versions of Source need specific formats. So click the Old Cube Path button then export.

onur89tr

It gives the error when I compiled with your setting. When I opening vtf's, I got the 2nd error in the image. In first error, says "-notga disables" What's it? I think you can solve this.

wallworm

That message isn't an error in WW or the VTF. That is because the compiler in game you are using is going to a newer format of VTF. You might be able to fix it by updating the version of VTF Edit you are using. But there should be no need. Just use the sky you made in the game and it should work.

onur89tr

I will use this map for create cubemap (reflection in materials). Is there any different way?

wallworm

I'd say that you should always just use the sky in the MAP and then add cubemaps in key areas of your level and tell the materials to just use the envmap (from closest cubemap).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk