Material Not Applying To Model

Started by GR3AVE5Y, October 05, 2012, 12:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GR3AVE5Y

If anybody can help me with this... PLEASE DO Hahaha, I've set all the paths for everything and my model shows up in the model viewer but with the pink and black squares instead of my material, i've been trying to get it sorted all day and nothing seems to work. The material exports fine and in the command box thing it says successful, everything is in the right file location.

Anybody know what it could be?

wallworm

This can be a few things. Here are some considerations:

1) If your WW Settings are using either Wunderboy SMD Exporter or Cannonfodder SMD Exporter: Turn on Legacy Tex Names and re-export model and materials (if Legacy Tex Names was off) OR switch to the WWMT SMD Exporter and re-export the model.

2) If you export the model, change a material name and then export the model, the material names assigned in the model will be wrong... re-export the model.

Hopefully one of these solutions solves your dilemma.

GR3AVE5Y

Switched to WWMT SMD Exporter worked fine :) Thanks

GR3AVE5Y

It worked once but the texture was black, after then i've tried again and it's still broke lol tried everything :/

wallworm

Sigma

Shawn, or whomever else may be able to answer. I have the same problem. I can export the model but the materials are not applying correctly. I have encountered the "steamapps" error, and am starting HLMV and running StudioMDL directly instead of through steam (although steam is running when I do all of this). I would appreciate any help. The model also appears to be distorted (but I will solve that after I solve the basic issues first). Thanks!

Content of the QC:

// QC File generated by the Wall Worm Model Tools Version 1.9878
// Get the latest version and notes at:
// http://dev.wallworm.com

$modelname   "HEER M42/Helmet_Low_Poly_Base.mdl"
$staticprop
$opaque
$body Helmet_Low_Poly_Base "Helmet_Low_Poly_Base.smd"
$collisionmodel "Helmet_Low_Poly_Base_hull.smd" {
$concave
$automass

}
$surfaceprop "solidmetal"
$cdmaterials "HEER M42"
$sequence idle "Helmet_Low_Poly_Base" fps 1

$include   "Helmet_Low_Poly_Base_wwmt_custom.qci"

wallworm

Here are my best guesses:

1) I think that your paths are wrong in some way. VTEX doesn't work properly when the materials aren't located in the correct folders.

Below is a screen shot of my TF2 settings that work with the current Steampipe versions:

Also... you should not use any spaces in your paths. So the WWMT settings (Model Folder Path and Material Folder Path) using a name with a space is really not a good idea. It can cause problems. Also, I would refrain from using capital letters with assets... because capitalization matters in Linux systems. This means that when referenced on a Linux server, the reference needs to always match the case of the file... so it is always a good habit of just keeping all paths and assets lower case.

Sigma

Thanks for the quick response. I will try and re-configure to your settings. Could not having the earlier SDK's installed (i.e. 2007 and 2009) or any particular game aside from the one I am trying to compile for (i.e. Half Life 2) also be a reasonable reason why it might not work correctly? I only have the Source SDK and Team Fortress 2 currently installed... In either event, I will let you know the results with-in a couple of days.

Sigma

Happy to report I got the compile to work in HLMV. See: http://i.imgur.com/bylAWsV.png

As a note -- I did the auto-config, and than I went through each file path and re-selected the folder already autoselected (this solves the capitalization and space issues). Furthermore I changed out my destination folders to all lower case and no spaces. Finally, I ran the batch file as opposed to manually running the config through vtex and studiomdl.

There are still issues with the model of course (probably having to do with my normals as I am still getting a grasp there)---but otherwise I consider this successful. Hopefully once I get the other basic issues solved I can begin releasing creations into the wild.  :o

wallworm

I'm glad you got it going. Keep it up!

Mister3d

I have a similar issue. I used autoselecting all paths with preset. I'm new to Hammer. The model shows up with checker, but I cannot apply any texture in hammer to it. I can, though, apply textures to geometry created in Hammer. What could be the issue?

wallworm

Quote from: Mister3d on August 04, 2014, 08:46:30 AM
I have a similar issue. I used autoselecting all paths with preset. I'm new to Hammer. The model shows up with checker, but I cannot apply any texture in hammer to it. I can, though, apply textures to geometry created in Hammer. What could be the issue?

You must understand that Hammer does not give you the ability to edit any model geometry. If you are learning Hammer for the first time, you might save yourself some headache and not even use Hammer. You can do everything it is you want to do in 3ds Max. For info on that, see Hammered to the Max.

For this specific issue, please go to your global WW settings and turn on the WW SMD Exporter, turn off any of the options that say Legacy in the materials sections... then re-export the model and its textures. It should work now.

Mister3d

Quote from: wallworm on August 04, 2014, 09:58:18 AM
Quote from: Mister3d on August 04, 2014, 08:46:30 AM

You must understand that Hammer does not give you the ability to edit any model geometry. If you are learning Hammer for the first time, you might save yourself some headache and not even use Hammer. You can do everything it is you want to do in 3ds Max. For info on that, see Hammered to the Max.

For this specific issue, please go to your global WW settings and turn on the WW SMD Exporter, turn off any of the options that say Legacy in the materials sections... then re-export the model and its textures. It should work now.

Thank you. I unchecked and checked those boxes, but it seems it doesn't affect it. I use 3ds max for quite some time, so I modeled a simple level there, and wanted to test it. I'm really confused with Hammer browser, as it doesn't update or what, because I can't find my model which I exported right away. It appears there after some time. The material is still grey. I first export VTF, and then QC+model. The browser doesn't see it immediately.
Maybe I need to reinstall Wallworm. But when I simply delete the Wallworm folder, and then add back a new one, the settings stay the same?

EDIT: I reistalled the plugin. Exported the model, but it's still grey. I use the initial myproject folder, no settings were changed.

wallworm

Re-installing Wall Worm is not likely your solution.

One issue is that when you add/edit a model/model material, that asset is not immediately available in Hammer. Very often, you need to close Hammer and re-open it for a model to appear if you compiled it while Hammer was open.

If you are already familiar with Max, I suggest bypassing Hammer altogether. You can simply use Max and compile straight into the game. Of course, you have to understand how WW differentiates World Geometry and Models, but that is detailed in the book linked above.

At this point, I only open Hammer to test new functions in Wall Worm to make sure the exporters are working correctly because opening Hammer is faster than loading a game. But really, building your scene in Max then sending it Hammer for more work is really just adding extra and unnecessary work.

Viewing a model after compiling is more convenient with the HL Model Viewer instead of in Hammer. When you have a model open in it, you can recompile the model and textures on the fly and hit F5 to see the results in the viewer. It's faster than testing model results in Hammer.

If you cannot get it to work, send me your Max scene as an archive ( File > Save As ... > Archive ). Send it to my email address included in the WW Readme file. I'll see if there is anything wrong with the setup.

Mister3d

Quote from: wallworm on August 04, 2014, 12:37:57 PM
Re-installing Wall Worm is not likely your solution.

One issue is that when you add/edit a model/model material, that asset is not immediately available in Hammer. Very often, you need to close Hammer and re-open it for a model to appear if you compiled it while Hammer was open.

If you are already familiar with Max, I suggest bypassing Hammer altogether. You can simply use Max and compile straight into the game. Of course, you have to understand how WW differentiates World Geometry and Models, but that is detailed in the book linked above.

At this point, I only open Hammer to test new functions in Wall Worm to make sure the exporters are working correctly because opening Hammer is faster than loading a game. But really, building your scene in Max then sending it Hammer for more work is really just adding extra and unnecessary work.

Viewing a model after compiling is more convenient with the HL Model Viewer instead of in Hammer. When you have a model open in it, you can recompile the model and textures on the fly and hit F5 to see the results in the viewer. It's faster than testing model results in Hammer.

If you cannot get it to work, send me your Max scene as an archive ( File > Save As ... > Archive ). Send it to my email address included in the WW Readme file. I'll see if there is anything wrong with the setup.

Thank you! It's not about the particular model, but it exports all models in gray shaded. Maybe there's something wrong with my settings. I can't export a teapot or a torus with a simple color I assign. For now all I want is simply a geometry to a source engine to run in-game. But it seems so difficult. How can I export to a game directly from 3ds max? Where can I read about it?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk