Material Not Applying To Model

Started by GR3AVE5Y, October 05, 2012, 12:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallworm

If you cannot export simple colors... it may be a combination of issues. My first suggestion is, however, to download and read Hammered to the Max. Although some of it is probably not essential for you if you know Max (like the section on the Max UI), I think it will give you a better understanding of the work flow.

Materials often only show gray if they have the incorrect Shader assigned. For most models this should be the VertLitGeneric .

Here is a simple test:

1) Create Empty Scene

2) Open global WW settings and turn on Give New Models a Material If None

3) Create a teapot with NO material

4) Open WWMT

5) Click Pick Model and choose the teapot. It should turn orange because it got a material.

6) Click Export VTFs. There will only be one checkbox for the Material. Check that checkbox and hit Export Selected Textures (if there had been a diffuse bitmap, you could export that too but this is just for the material).

7) Close texture exporter.

8) Click Export QC+Model in WWMT.

9) Now open the HLMV and browse for this teapot model. It should be orange.

Now you can look at the material and see what settings it has to get this result. If it is NOT orange in HLMV then you are using a mod that doesn't support the color syntax used by WW and will need to manually edit the VMT after the fact. I doubt this is the case (what mod are you using?)

For getting textures... you need to use a diffuse bitmap that is a TGA or PSD.

In all instances, the material must be a Standard material. Arch & Design materials are not supported. You can use Arch & Design to create raw materials , but those must then be translated to Standard Materials with RTT or other methods.

Hopefully this answers it all. I strongly suggest reading that book link. It is free.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk