WW Online Classes

Started by wallworm, November 22, 2012, 11:52:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallworm

Just food for thought at this point, but I am considering doing a weekly online class on using Wall Worm and Max. I'd do it for a fee (I have to start turning my 3D time into a living). So I'm curious how many people would be interested in a crash course on Max. I'd probably do the lessons over Skype (which I think limits me to 10 people at a time). I'm thinking each class will be roughly two hours and I'd probably charge $15 per seat per session.

Again, right now I'm just putting out feelers. I would need to know how many people would be interested and what are the main topics of interest people have.

Infidel

I dunno I can commit to a full $15 per session. I may have to take a session here and a session there. But I have experianced your knoedge and would count the price as well below reasonable. I hope more would be willing as it is worth the money and time to ensure that this wonderful tool continues to expand grow and maintain itself. Let me know what happens and worst case I'll sign up and we'll do it one on one and I'll pay for me and that will be better than nothing.

Good luck and keep me posted. ;D

sofmisfortune

wallworm

Once I can get 5 or 6 people interested at one time, I will start putting together some classroom ideas.

If I do this, I'd probably set up a sample Max scene (all in Max 2013 format) that participants can download, along with a worksheet going over the lessons. But until I can get at least 5+ interested people, I can't commit the time. In the meantime, feel free to post course/lesson ideas that might be interesting/educational into this thread.

Infidel

I would like to assume that everyone interested would have by this point viewed at least one if not many of your online tutorials. Though I will not make that assumption as I know what happens when that kind of empty guesswork is applied. So that being said, I would like to suggest a free none paid beginners class for the first one.

Obviously the first place would be to start at the beginning with a brief overview of Max. Show the set up and the optimal usage for Source based application. I would go over briefly the different toolbars and command windows within Max and then go over the windows we will be dealing with (i.e. Slate, UVW, WWMT, Convexity, etc.).

The next place to go would be into the basics of modeling using different primitives (geometry), splines, imported objects, etc. With branches into some of the different modifiers that can be employed and some of the draw tools as well. This can obviously take many forms and may even employ smoothing groups, ambient occlusion maps, lofts or whatever aspects that I am currently forgetting.

I think starting at these basics will be a good way to get our feet wet and get used to your instruction and presentation style.

wallworm

We'll see. The demand isn't exactly high so I may just let this idea die.

Infidel

Along with your dreams of being the first bald and freckled transvestite in space? And who can forget your desire to achieve fame as a breeder of naked mole rats (take that however you wish)?
So many dreams, all down the drain.

Oh wellÂ….

Sky-High

I'd gladly pay the money for some lessons in autodesk and wwmt.
Do you still want to do this?

if so, when you would have lets say 6 or more seats, how would you communicate with everybody? separate by voice chat or to everybody at once?

Will there be a visual link between my screen and yours so that we see what you do and you can see what we do?

Is there room/time for specifical issues(non related to the explained material) the student is struggling with at the end of each session?

greetz
Sky

wallworm

I will still consider doing this at some point but would need to get enough people interested or it would be more of a hassle than a benefit to me. I would hope to get 5-10 people at a time to do a group screen share in Skype. Yes, this would entail users being able to see my screen and all being able to communicate. We'll see if more people get interested.

Sky-High

Ok but i think you should keep in mind the more seats you have per session the longer it will take to actually advance in the tutorial becous everybody will probably have quite some questions i think.

Maybe price it up a little and start with just a couple lets say 5-6 seats or so to begin with to see how it goes?

idk about others but i'm defenitly willing to pay abit more in exchange for knowledge.

wallworm

I'll take it into consideration. The problem is that the vast majority of the users of WW are high school/college students... and this age group primarily has no money to spend on lessons and/or has grown up with a certain mentaility that all things digital (be it software, lessons, etc) should be free. The bulk of the people who contact me are usually expecting me to donate time to solving all problems for free... even though the majority of those problems can be solved with minimal research in the WW docs and/or Google.

At the other end, the pros that use WW generally get by with the docs alone and don't usually need lessons. Of course they sometimes contact me if the docs are wrong or I break something in an update... but overall they probably don't have much interest in a class.

Anyway, I do appreciate your interest and will certainly continue to think about offering some lessons.

Sky-High

I myself started with this as a hobby some time ago, i was active on cscz, recently with csgo coming out and much more options and better graphics i wanna take "my game" to the next level.
So i have no expierence at all in autodesk 3dsmax exept for that i learned already wich is not to much.

If i wanna do this good then i really need some lessons for it becous autodesk 3ds max options are vast and to much to learn myself.

Before i am actually gonna make models/sculptures i wanna get a better understand on how to texture and stuff and how to export it with wwmt. Its a slow proces and takes alot of time and patience.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk