Problem Exporting VMF

Started by sofmisfortune, December 18, 2012, 01:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sofmisfortune

Hi All, new to the forums. I have been trying to export the tutorial map(from the wall worm tutorial at the end of episode 5) into hammer and I am getting this error.

"File E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\sdk_content\maps\map_1_hint_done.vmf, line 1:no such file or directory" and then hammer crashes
1.Do I need to set game info?
2.Is my Bin directory set correctly?

Any help would be appreciated.I have listed my settings below, Let me know if you need anything else

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\sdk_content\maps
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\sdk_content\materialsrc
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\sdk_content\modelsrc
C:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\syntaxyz\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin

wallworm

Yes, you should set both the game info dir AND the Bin Dir. For CS:GO they should be:

BIN:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\bin

GAME INFO DIR:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo

Hopefully that fixes your problem.

sofmisfortune

Hi Thanks for the quick reply. Ive spent the day going through tutorials and I am not sure where I am going wrong. my settings are listed below for CSGO

E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\sdk_content\map_beg\modelsrc   model default path models
E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\sdk_content\map_beg\materialsrc material default path materials
E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\sdk_content\map_1beg\map
E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\bin
E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo

I followed this tutorial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hH44DPxy3r0

I have tagged the layout with anvil, It seems like the textures export but when I go to export VMF I get this error

"Error opening e:\steam\steamapps\counter-strike global offensive\sdk_content\maps\Map_beg.bsp"

the vmf file  is created but opening it in hammer

"File E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\sdk_content\maps\Map_beg.vmf, line 1:no such file or directory"

Very new to this but I cant figure it out any ideas?

wallworm

Quote from: sofmisfortune on December 18, 2012, 09:55:34 PM

E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\sdk_content\map_beg\modelsrc   model default path models
E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\sdk_content\map_beg\materialsrc material default path materials
E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\sdk_content\map_1beg\map
E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\bin
E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo

The strikethrough sections above are incorrect. Try changing them to:

E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\sdk_content\modelsrc
E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\sdk_content\materialsrc
E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\sdk_content\map

Let me know if that solves the problem.

sofmisfortune

Thanks for the info. I will give it a try when I get home tonight.

sofmisfortune

Hi, Well I'm making a bit of progress. I had just downloaded max a couple months ago and assumed it had the service packs which it didn't so installed those tonight. And it starts to compile, then I get the below error
vbsp.exe has stopped working, after closing the error box I get the same message as before.
"Error opening e:\steam\steamapps\counter-strike global offensive\sdk_content\maps\Map_beg.bsp"

I figure Ill try recreating the map from scratch tomorrow and see if it persists. Do you think I should reinstall wall wallworm as well?

Thanks again

wallworm

I am curious... when you exported the map from Max did you happen to save it with a .BSP extension? The level exporter should export and save as the file in .VMF format. During the compile process the compilers (vbsp.exe, etc) convert the VMF into a BSP. Make sure you've exported into VMF format.

Also, not that I expect it to matter, (but in case it might) I gave the wrong map folder above (it should have an "s" at the end):

Map Source Folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\sdk_content\maps

sofmisfortune

Hey, Aside from accidentally naming the wall texture toolsskybox at the end all went smooth and the file exported and I was able to open in hammer. Thanks again for your help. I look forward to learning more over the weekend. Also, I ordered convexity on Monday and am waiting for the key to move forward in some of the tutorials, any idea what the average turn around for the key is?

wallworm

I am glad you are getting along.

Unfortunately, I cannot speak for how long Maple3D will take to respond. In the past I generally expected a response within 24 hours... but recently it has gotten longer and longer.

Be aware that many of the things I demonstrated in that level design series is actually out-dated. I still endorse the design tools in Convexity (I love the Wall Tools, Library Shape Tools, Entity functions and the Wall Side-View Editor) ... but the relationship between WW and Convexity has changed somewhat. I prefer the WW VMF Exporter because I have control over it and it supports all the WW tools like WWMT models and displacements.

Another thing is that the videos were made before I changed the way materials are handled... so basically you have to take the videos with a grain of salt. Often I'll make a video and then do an update that then invalidates things in the videos... but I don't always have time to document that other than in the changelog.

sofmisfortune

Sounds good I'll keep that in mind when going through the tutorials. I may send a few more questions your way over the next few weeks if that's all right.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk