CAT feedback

Started by dessertmonkey, January 24, 2013, 02:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dessertmonkey

I been trying out CAT for a hands view model and while the bones export, there's all sorts of nonsense going on. Since you asked for feedback on how well CAT plays with WWMT then .

After having luck with have the models attached as one model and aligning it's pivot to world at origin, I thought I have averted unwanted offsets. This doesn't appear to work with CAT.

Here's what it looks like in Max:

Both the CAT parent and model are at origin and oriented the same way (aligned to world). Only from the elbow down is skinned to the CATbones. I then assigned both the CAT parent and the model to the WWMT helper, created a simple handshake animation and left CAT in animation mode when I exported.

The result looked something like this:

The model is on it's side and the bones have been flipped upside-down and forced all the digit bones to the palm bone.

I have tried contraining bones to the CATrig, skin and export, but instead of them staying in place they go all over the place. After some troubleshooting I found that having a position constraint causes an offset even when the bones xform has been reset.

The only thing that worked at all is just simple bones with the model skinned to them. If nothing else, this has the least amount of problems.

wallworm

Thank you for the feedback.

I did have a version of the SMD Exporter that almost worked with CAT ... but even it was incorrect. Unfortunately, the more I've looked at the problem, the harder it seems to get. I really want to have proper CAT/Biped support... but the problem is that the CAT/Biped rigs have controllers and hierarchies (internally) that don't follow the standard bone system mechanics. And at the moment, the majority of my time is devoted to real-world activities (and I've taken a break from the SMD export to build a VMF importer in the current coding time I have).

Anyway, I will post news when I have a breakthrough on the CAT dilemma.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk